What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"overheating" ipad 3 burned smart cover?

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We all know of the iPad getting relatively warm. I for one always keep my smart cover attached to my iPad. Today I happened to take it off, and noticed this scorch mark on the part where the bottom left of the iPad connects. Anyone else have this happen? I'm not really worried about it. Just something to discuss.

image-1127871693.jpg

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally I would find this worthy of a trip to the apple store. I know they run warm but physical damage resulting from the higher temp no matter how minor I find unacceptable. At a minimum they owe you a new smart cover.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
You're kidding, right?

I can only answer for my post when I say no I'm not kidding.

You find an iPad that leaves a burn mark on a smart cover ok?

It is possible this particular unit is overheating and the damage to the smart cover is a result.

The short version is someone would be picking up the tab for a damaged smart cover.

Ian W

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Given they're both Apple products and designed to work together, I'd say take it to the Apple store too.

What's the worst they can say?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry, I was responding to the OP, not your post.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Sorry, I was responding to the OP, not your post.

No problem. Wasn't sure but now that I am I agree with you I'd be like wow

Last edited by a moderator:

Tasty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an outer box defender case on my iPad and I have not experience any troubles , I would take it into the apple store and invest in another case.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine get's nowhere near warm enough to even hatch an egg, never mind fry one.

What you have there is a defective unit.

L

Lunar

Mine get's nowhere near warm enough to even hatch an egg, never mind fry one.

What you have there is a defective unit.

Only time I can detect a tiny amount of warmth on the back of my hand is after a full charge, which I assume is emanating from the battery, and AIS that is barely detectable, for all other times it seems cool to me. So yes.. I think a visit to a Apple store may be prudent.

Last edited by a moderator:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lunar said:
Only time I can detect a tiny amount of warmth on the back of my hand is after a full charge, which I assume is emanating from the battery, and AIS that is barely detectable, for all other times it seems cool to me. So yes.. I think a visit to a Apple store may be prudent.

If you want to see it get a bit warm, set the screen to max brightness and leave it on for about 30 minutes. It will get warm, not hot. The OP definitely has some kind of issue.

HappyPelican

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah....I would think this qualifies as a trip to the Apple store. Not to hit the panic button but if your iPad is running that hot, aren't you worried about it starting a fire. I don't know if you charge it when you aren't home but it just seems like a pretty big hazard.

buddhahat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's another thread here about burn like marks appearing on the smart cover magnetic strip and staining the ipad. I had this issue myself and the mark could not be removed, so I took both ipad and smart cover back to Apple Store and they were good enough to replace both.

Although it looks like a burn it might be something to with the chemicals contained within the magnetic strip leaking and damaging the ipad. There's a thread on the apple forums where someone suggests that it's rust caused by oxidisation or something.

If it's damaged the ipad I think it's reasonable to ask for a replacement, providing it's still within warranty. Good luck!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There's another thread here about burn like marks appearing on the smart cover magnetic strip and staining the ipad. I had this issue myself and the mark could not be removed, so I took both ipad and smart cover back to Apple Store and they were good enough to replace both.

Although it looks like a burn it might be something to with the chemicals contained within the magnetic strip leaking and damaging the ipad. There's a thread on the apple forums where someone suggests that it's rust caused by oxidisation or something.

If it's damaged the ipad I think it's reasonable to ask for a replacement, providing it's still within warranty. Good luck!

I find it more believe able that it could be some chemical that got burnt rather than thinking the iPad burnt metal, which doesn't make sense.

Most reactions

Latest posts