What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OverDrive Media Console help?

krenopus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.tai-tastigon.com
iPad v1, iOS v4.3.5
with OverDrive Media Console v2.3.1

I have used this app, I have a library saved that I can search for books.

but I have just spent the last 45 minutes trying to add 3 new libraries.

I finally figured out, after I find the library - click on the "star" to add it..
Then "cancel" to save it to your library list ("cancel?" are you kidding?!)

But then if I close the app, re-open the app - the library list only has my original library listed.

OverDrive offers no tech support...

Any suggestions on how I can add these libraries to this app?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've moved this to the Help section and left a redirect from the original location, as I think you'll get better attention that way.

Tim

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I feel your pain, but unfortunately, I don't think anyone can help. I have searched in vain for a way to bookmark libraries in the Overdrive app (I belong to six!). The only time I've seen a library stay in the part at the top of the app is IF you've checked out a book. Then, from my research, there's a time limit on how long that library will stay.

I've made a list of my libraries in the Notes app (with the link to the e-book section) so that I can copy the link to Overdrive. Unfortunately, it's a workardound and I don't know when or how Overdrive can get bookmarks.

All that to say that I can't help. But, maybe the knowledge that someone else understands and suffers too - helps? :)

Well, at least we can access the libraries and easily download the books now......

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Marilyn

OP
krenopus

krenopus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.tai-tastigon.com
Thanks!! :)
I'll just compose a list of complaints/issues that I have with this app, and send it off to the developer.
Maybe they will consider an upgrade (it could happen!!)
Thanks again!! :)

OP
krenopus

krenopus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.tai-tastigon.com
Okay. I spent some time looking this over - there is no way to contact the developer of OMC.

They refer all contact to your local library.

Note 1: my original library entry is still listed.
I believe this is what Marilyn is talking about - I've "checked out" a book, so OMC saved the entry.
I'm not positive on the time factor, however, I believe it's been over 6 months since I last checked out a book,
and the library is still listed.

Note 2: I put a book on "hold" (or joined the que to check it out) and OMC has now saved the new library to my list.
Not sure how long that will stay on my list - it's only been an hour... but it's still there.

Note 3: I sent a tech support request to my local library.
In their first response, they assured me this was possible.
They did provide instructions for how to add a library to the list.

The instructions provided were fairly simple, and included the obvious steps;
basicly just click on the "Add Library" button.
Search for your library on the list provided.
Select the library - and your done!

unfortunatley, for me, thats not saving the library.

OP
krenopus

krenopus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.tai-tastigon.com
I finally recieved an official answer from OMC, regarding the inability of OMC to save libraries
in the "Get Books" section...
The final answer from Overdrive:
Thank you and your patron for getting back to me and trying what I suggested.
In the meantime, we tested this out on an iPad 1 and that original version of the iPad does not save a library unless you check something out.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm also a frustrated OverDrive user - I've just added my local county library (the only one that I have a card) and it cannot even remember my DAMN (sorry!) number from one session to another! Then the number of digital copies allowed by the publishers (I'm assuming that this is all related to DRM and permitting just a very limited number of digital editions available to users - and WHY not - they don't make money lending books for free!) is so low that one is put on a waiting list that may take WEEKS to obtain the book(s); so what to do, well put the maximum number of books on your 'wish list', then of course a month or more later when all are available at once for just a 14 day lend period, there is no way to read them!

OH, the pain (you know where!) - I've started to look for just cheaper purchases until this whole situation improves - peace now - :)

OP
krenopus

krenopus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.tai-tastigon.com
I don't know how OMC works, in non-US countries...

What I have found, as a temporary fix to OMC's lending issues...

Library cards.

My local library will only let me checkout/hold 5 books at a time.
Each book is checked out for 21 days.
You can't check out anything new, beyond your qouata, until you've returned something.
(Early return of books is a seperate issue)

Each county has it's own seperate eLibrary repository.

Each county issues it's own library cards. Or in the case of large county's, multiple library districts.

I was able to take a day trip to a large city, about 3 hours south of where I live, and sign up for a library card there!
Now I have two cards!
Then I discovered that the same area had multiple library districts! With another 20 minute drive around that area, I was able to find another library within a different district -> I now have access to 3 different elibraries.

The book selection is still limited. Still heavily reserved.
But at least now, I'm not limited to a single source - at least not for the year that my cards will be valid :)

and maybe next month - I can take a day trip up north :D

Most reactions