What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overdrive for library borrowing

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thought I would mention that the Ipad version of Overdrive for borrowing from most digital libraries came out today. Mine works nicely with our NC digital library. i've been using Bluefire to read after downloading to my main computer and then transferring via Dropbox but this is very much easier all done on the Ipad.

Diane

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you return books early with the Overdrive app? That's one thing I really like with Bluefire and what was missing on the iPhone Overdrive app.

Thanks.

Marilyn

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a delete option, but I don't know if this actually returns the book. I am at work right now ( with no WiFi :( ) so I can't test this right now.

Although the app works, it still needs some polishing, IMHO. While OverDrive might have figured out how to check out electronic publications, they are still new at designing apps.

But I shouldn't complain. At least it works!

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am thrilled to see that native support has been added for iPad. I have only just started into the territory of digital library books literally last week, and figured I would just deal with Overdrive for now, pixilated until it got improved. Well, gosh--that wasn't any wait for me at all! I admit I have not tooled around much at all in the Overdrive e-reading program yet so I cannot make any comments at all on the library management system, page turning and all those specifics yet. I just have books signed out. I have not tried reading books via another app yet-still new to the whole library loan thing. I would have eventually stumbled on to the fact that I could have dropped the loaners into another app to read on a better reader app, but now that Overdrive is optimized for iPad, I'm good to go for now. Again, some of the preferences in terms of turning pages may not be where people may like-that I can't answer to yet. But I'm just glad to have a start! Woo hoo!!

OP
D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree it isn't polished. For some it will just be easier. It lacks the "night" white on black option that Bluefire has. Pages turn fine though. I don't think the "delete" is the same as return which I too use in Bluefire but now there are options. I've been using Overdrive to open ny NC Digital library and browsing, using the wish list and hold options. When I find one to borrow I put it in my "book bag" and then go to main computer to download it, drag it to my Dropbox and open it on the Ipad and choose Bluefire. Its just a case of booting up the other computer, not that much of a hassle and I suspect I'll keep using Bluefire because of the night option and return. However, you can have them in both apps at the same time. I have a book in Bluefire and went back and redownloaded directly to Overdrive.

Someone on one of my photo forums says that when he goes to download his books he gets the option of either Overdrive OR Bluefire. I haven't been able to understand how since when I hit download on the Ipad from within my own NC DIgital it opens directly to Overdrive. If I'm on my desktop I get the option of where I want the file. When I'm in Dropbox on the Ipad I do have the option of "open with" but not initially.

After I wrote this I thought I would try going directly to my digital library through Safari rather than connecting via Overdrive (which does open it in Safari anyhow) to see if there was some difference when I choose to download a book. Nope, it opens directly to Overdrive with no option to open in Bluefire. I've wondered if others' digital libraries don't have "overdrive" in their URL as ours does
http://ncdigital.lib.overdrive.com/E826948D-B7A8-45ED-A016-5A33DDB8BC1B/10/358/en/Default.htm. and maybe that makes a difference ad to how/where you can download to. Dunno'

Diane

Last edited:

JTravers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great news. I've been waiting for the iPad Overdrive app for a while. I love reading ebooks through the library, and this makes it so easy -- all in one app.

Thanks for letting us know it's available in the app store.

JTravers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For those that prefer Bluefire, use the code from the following link to create a bookmarklet in Safari.
Titles Available

Browse your library website in Safari, and checkout the ebook you want. When you get to the download page for the ebook, click the bookmarklet, and the ebook will automagically be downloaded into Bluefire.

Be sure that you've already entered your Adobe Digital Editions credentials into Bluefire before doing any of this, though.

OP
D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
JTravers,

Thank YOU so much. I've never done a bookmarklet before so wasn't sure how but found a how to tute (the one for Instapaper) and it works. Love it because my only recourse for reading in Bluefire (which I prefer to Overdrive for the "return" and "night mode") was to dl to main computer, transfer via Dropbox to the Ipad. I just redownloaded the book I'm reading now using the bookmarklet--so I have 2 copies but know it works LOL. Love it!!!!! Besides I now know how to handle a bookmarklet if and when it crops up again.

Diane

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like all the options for people. Very cool. I am happy with basic Overdrive, just the fact that it is optimized for the iPad screen. I'll take that as a start.

JTravers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JTravers,

Thank YOU so much. I've never done a bookmarklet before so wasn't sure how but found a how to tute (the one for Instapaper) and it works. Love it because my only recourse for reading in Bluefire (which I prefer to Overdrive for the "return" and "night mode") was to dl to main computer, transfer via Dropbox to the Ipad. I just redownloaded the book I'm reading now using the bookmarklet--so I have 2 copies but know it works LOL. Love it!!!!! Besides I now know how to handle a bookmarklet if and when it crops up again.

Diane

Awesome.
Glad I was able to help.

slittlet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Returning a book early and night mode

Hi. I wanted to let you know that I just returned an Overdrive book early on my iPad. I also have the option to switch to night mode as well. To return the book early, you click the Edit button on the top left of the screen. This will bring up a small red circle to the left of your book. The circle has a line in it. Once you press the circle, the line toggles and gives you the option to simply delete the book or return and delete.

As for the night mode, you have to have the black bar at the top and bottom of the screen that allows you to slide to certain pages of the book. I really don't remember how I got it to appear. I know you have to press in the right spot for it to come up. Once that is visible, there is a button in the middle of the top of the page. This will allow you to switch to night mode as well as adjust the brightness of the screen.

I just did both of these for the first time, so hopefully I included all the steps right.

OP
D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You touch in the middle of the page to get the icons for night and font at the top. You make choice, press in middle of page to hide those icons. To use bookmark you touch top right of page.

Dianr

Most reactions