What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outlook on Ipad2

rmgetaway

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know that MS applications are not well liked on this forum, BUT, I use a PC for work and have the Office Suite. I REALLY want to purchase an IPad2 on Friday but need to be able to work with Excel and Outlook (not Exchange Server). Is there an App or other alternative that I can use to be able to use my current PST files between the Ipad2 and my laptop?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Lots of Windows users here, so there is no particular bias against Microsoft or their products. Well, I might be a little biased, but I won't hold your OS of choice against you. ;) Besides, all those apps are available on OS X too.

Unfortunately, none of them are available on the iPad. Event the behemoth Microsoft hasn't got enough weight to cram full office suites into mobile devices. Maybe they will come out with some light versions some day, or make their Web Apps compatible with the iPad.

There is an app called Pst Mail in the App Store. It appears to be an app to import and view .pst files, not a full mail application. I don't know anything more about it than what is in the description, and there aren't enough reviews on it to make any guesses about how good it is.

For the other Office applications the most compatible are Docs 2 Go and QuickOffice.

Apple's iWork suite Numbers, Pages, and Keynote are slightly less compatible but offer ease of use and lots of layout options.

There is nothing on the iPad that will give you all the features and power of Microsoft Office or Outlook. Nothing but a full computer or laptop will do that.

Last edited:
OP
R

rmgetaway

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like I can accomplish what I need to through different apps, just trying to be able to work spreadsheets and my outlook folders while sitting by the pool on vacation! So I am thinking that purchasing the IPad is the way to go!

Rlarson_mn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know that MS applications are not well liked on this forum, BUT, I use a PC for work and have the Office Suite. I REALLY want to purchase an IPad2 on Friday but need to be able to work with Excel and Outlook (not Exchange Server). Is there an App or other alternative that I can use to be able to use my current PST files between the Ipad2 and my laptop?

You can purchase an application called DocumentToGo for the IPad. It will read, edit, contract any Office Document that can be in turn read and altered by Office Products. In addition I use another application called DropBox to store all of my excel and word documents on the 'cloud' storage. This application has a counter part for Adroid and Windows. As far as your use of Outlook I sync my Outlook calendar, contacts and todo listings with Gmail. You can set up a Gmail account on your IPad and it will sync with Google when there are any changes.

Most reactions