What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outboard Storage Recommendations

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have done a search, but am not sure the resulting info is all that current. My question: what is the best portable outboard storage available for the iPad?

Most of what I dug up had to do with the Seagate Goflex Satellite, but it apparently isn‘t all that easy to set up and use.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tuttle said:
I have done a search, but am not sure the resulting info is all that current. My question: what is the best portable outboard storage available for the iPad?

Most of what I dug up had to do with the Seagate Goflex Satellite, but it apparently isn‘t all that easy to set up and use.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

I have the Seagate GoFlex Satellite and it is very easy to set up and use. Just be sure you have latest firmware on the device and the latest app version on your iPad. The literature states that five wifi devices can access content, I've only tried it on three iPads. The GoFlex acts as a storage server, each client can access the content of the drive. I installed three different movies on the drive and I was able to have each iPad access a different movie. Or all three iPads can access the same movie and be on different parts of the movie. Do a Google search on the GoFlex. It is a 500Gig External WiFi storage device. In the USA they go for around $129 (?).

There are other devices similar to the GoFlex, but I only have this one so I cannot tell you if it is better than any other product. There is another moderator, AQ_OC, that uses the AirStash product. Hopefully he can chime in and share his information.

Last edited:
OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MattIM said:
I have the Seagate GoFlex Satellite and it is very easy to set up and use. Just be sure you have latest firmware on the device and the latest app version on your iPad. The literature states that five wifi devices can access content, I've only tried it on three iPads. The GoFlex acts as a storage server, each client can access the content of the drive. I installed three different movies on the drive and I was able to have each iPad access a different movie. Or all three iPads can access the same movie and be on different parts of the movie. Do a Google search on the GoFlex. It is a 500Gig External WiFi storage device. In the USA they go for around $129 (?).

There are other devices similar to the GoFlex, but I only have this one so I cannot tell you if it is better than any other product. There is another moderator, AQ_OC, that uses the AirStash product. Hopefully he can chime in and share his information.

Thanks for the response, Matt.

How long does the battery last for portable use?

By the way, aren't there several flash drives available on the market that are 32 pin iPad on one end and usb on the other? I wonder how well they work?

Last edited:

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tuttle said:
Thanks for the response, Matt.

How long does the battery last for portable use?

By the way, aren't there several flash drives available on the market that are 32 pin iPad on one end and usb on the other? I wonder how well they work?

Hello Tuttle, I have tested out this Seagate GoFlex Satellite and I got a good five hours of use before its red light started blinking and warning me to plug it in.

Our Supermoderator Gabe gave you link to another section of the forum that discusses in great detail all the threads regarding external storage. You might get more ideas in that part of the forum.

Happy reading!

Most reactions

Latest posts