What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Out of sync

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That would be visible in Safari. Here's what you would see with three of the search engines enabled:
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
H

hayseed

The only thing I get is Google, no matter which I choose. This is why I am asking how to go about doing it properly, I am I guess doing it right but the commands are just being ignored. I have heard about duck duck go but have never seen it, only in the list have I seen it.

I can' together anything but Google.

I checked on my iPad mini, and when I press duck duck go, the screen that shows up on it is a screen of Apple. Bing. Yahoo. Google.

But no duck duck go

Must be this west va. Back woods air or the stupid carrier we have who knows. Anyone know why this is not working?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try force closing Safari after you've enabled DuckDuckGo, clear history and website data (Settings - Safari) and write a few words into the search/address bar.

To force close, double tap the Home button and slide the picture above the Safari icon towards the top of the screen.

It looks like this:
image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
H

hayseed

There must a step i am missing. I enable duck duck go. Go to safari in settings, delete history. After i delete history for safari in settings you do not tell me what to do, just to type word in address bar, what sddress bar are you talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
H

hayseed

You mean all you have to do to get the chosen search engine to show up, is to start typing in the search bar? If so, why were you holding back that little nugget? This is the most stupid way i have seen to do something, and i have seen a lot of stupid things. They have taken something that seems so easy and made it complicated. It seems easy only after you learned how to do it.

So many steps. Thanks for opening my eyes to this i would never figured it out on my own.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
H

hayseed

I know what you mean, but remember i am not that bright.

Thanks i was able to get those search engines to show up.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The search engine only affects searches that are entered in the URL bar at the very top of Safari. If you are going to Google's site, then using the website's search field, it will, of course, be a Google search.

For the most part, how the search looks in Safari remains the same no matter which search engine you select. If you tap one of the Suggested Websites, you never see the actual search engine page.

If you tap GO, or select one of the search suggestions you go to that search engines webpage. Most of the search sites look a lot alike; blue theme, some sponsored hits followed by ranked results, adds in the right column. You have to look at the top and check the logo to know for sure where you are.

The exception is Duck-Duck-Go. They use a different layout and an orange theme. They are also the only one that 'promises' to not gather and use your data.

You can get a feel for each of them by selecting them in Safari's settings, then doing a few searches in Safari.

Hold in mind that these settings only affect Safari. Third party browsers like Google's Chrome browser have their own settings, usually in the app. Surprisingly, Chrome does offer search engine alternatives: Yahoo, Bing, Ask, and AOL.

Example of a Duck-Duck-Go search:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418767448.103414.jpg

Edit: I see that I accidentally missed reading an entire page full of responses. I'll leave this up just in case someone's already read it, or on the off chance that contain some small bit of info not already covered.

Most reactions

Latest posts