Out of sync

Discussion in 'iPad 4 Forum' started by hayseed, Dec 15, 2014.

1. hayseed

hayseed
    Expand Collapse

You mean all you have to do to get the chosen search engine to show up, is to start typing in the search bar? If so, why were you holding back that little nugget? This is the most stupid way i have seen to do something, and i have seen a lot of stupid things. They have taken something that seems so easy and made it complicated. It seems easy only after you learned how to do it.

So many steps. Thanks for opening my eyes to this i would never figured it out on my own.

#21 hayseed, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2014
  2. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, I thought my screenshots would show this.

3. hayseed

hayseed
    Expand Collapse

I know what you mean, but remember i am not that bright.

Thanks i was able to get those search engines to show up.

4. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm glad it's working for you now.

5. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    The search engine only affects searches that are entered in the URL bar at the very top of Safari. If you are going to Google's site, then using the website's search field, it will, of course, be a Google search.

For the most part, how the search looks in Safari remains the same no matter which search engine you select. If you tap one of the Suggested Websites, you never see the actual search engine page.

If you tap GO, or select one of the search suggestions you go to that search engines webpage. Most of the search sites look a lot alike; blue theme, some sponsored hits followed by ranked results, adds in the right column. You have to look at the top and check the logo to know for sure where you are.

The exception is Duck-Duck-Go. They use a different layout and an orange theme. They are also the only one that 'promises' to not gather and use your data.

You can get a feel for each of them by selecting them in Safari's settings, then doing a few searches in Safari.

Hold in mind that these settings only affect Safari. Third party browsers like Google's Chrome browser have their own settings, usually in the app. Surprisingly, Chrome does offer search engine alternatives: Yahoo, Bing, Ask, and AOL.

Example of a Duck-Duck-Go search:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418767448.103414.jpg

Edit: I see that I accidentally missed reading an entire page full of responses. I'll leave this up just in case someone's already read it, or on the off chance that contain some small bit of info not already covered.