Out of sync

Discussion in 'iPad 4 Forum' started by hayseed, Dec 15, 2014.

1. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Oh well. All's well that ends well.

2. dhewson777

dhewson777
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    That is only the search engine you are changing, not the browser. The browser will remain Safari.

Other browsers are available through the App Store, but Safari is sufficient for most users.

3. hayseed

hayseed
    Expand Collapse

I can not seem to get you to understand, I am getting browser and search engines mixed with one another,
    This is all I want to know, when I go to settings, safari, and the to the list of search engines. There in that list is, Google, bing, yahoo, and duck duck go. They each have check marks beside them. The one that is chosen, I think is the one with the blue check mark. This is what I am specifically talking about. If I were to select from that list duck duck go, then closed the settings, went back to home page, selected the icon Safari, I would think what would show up there, would be a search engine of duck duck go. And so on with choosing, yahoo, bing, and so on. But no matter what is chosen in that list, the only one that shows up, when and after I push the Safari icon is Google, even though that selection in the list was not chosen.

What is this list for if choosing one has no effect.

4. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There must be a glitch in your settings. Only one of the serach engines should have a check mark, the one you chose:
    image.jpg
    Try resetting your iPad: press and hold Home and Power button simultaneously until the Apple logo appears. Let go of both, your device will power up on it's own.

Take a look at this setting again afterwards. Maybe resetting helped.

5. hayseed

hayseed
    Expand Collapse

I only have one check mark, and that is the blue check, I thought that the others had light gray checks, but as I checked they do not.
    This being said what have you to say about this, is this just the way it is or what?
    If I have yahoo checked, where would I go to see that yahoo search engine had been chosen?
    Or is my thinking about what this all is about and how it should work completely wrong.

6. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That would be visible in Safari. Here's what you would see with three of the search engines enabled:
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

7. hayseed

hayseed
    Expand Collapse

The only thing I get is Google, no matter which I choose. This is why I am asking how to go about doing it properly, I am I guess doing it right but the commands are just being ignored. I have heard about duck duck go but have never seen it, only in the list have I seen it.

I can' together anything but Google.

I checked on my iPad mini, and when I press duck duck go, the screen that shows up on it is a screen of Apple. Bing. Yahoo. Google.

But no duck duck go

Must be this west va. Back woods air or the stupid carrier we have who knows. Anyone know why this is not working?

8. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Try force closing Safari after you've enabled DuckDuckGo, clear history and website data (Settings - Safari) and write a few words into the search/address bar.

To force close, double tap the Home button and slide the picture above the Safari icon towards the top of the screen.

It looks like this:
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

#18 J. A., Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  9. hayseed

hayseed
    Expand Collapse

There must a step i am missing. I enable duck duck go. Go to safari in settings, delete history. After i delete history for safari in settings you do not tell me what to do, just to type word in address bar, what sddress bar are you talking about.

#19 hayseed, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2014
  10. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's here:
    image.jpg
    in Safari

#20 J. A., Dec 16, 2014