What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Out of sync

H

hayseed

Just today on my I pad 4 gen. I go to a video, and the audio starts, but the video does not show up until I hit the the pause and play button. Then the video races forward to catch up with the audio, then freezes there, I then push pause and play and the same thing happens. On the rare occasions when I can get the video to play, it is always out of sync.

I thought maybe it was not a fault of the iPad, and just that of the site. But when I went to a complete different site the same thing happened. Another test I did was go to a site with my iPad, and with my iPad mini, to the very same site, the mini played the video and audio perfectly in sync. The newer iPad was doing the same thing. Is there a setting in settings that I have disabled or something?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Hayseed - please explain what you mean by 'I go to a video', i.e. are you using the native iPad 'Videos' app or are you in a browser, such as Safari, and the problem occurs there?

If the remainder of your device is functioning normally, the steps below are the usual initial recommendations - start w/ the 'Force Close' and proceed to the 'Reset', if needed. Let us know the answer to my question and the results of the maneuvers described. Good luck - Dave :)

When an app (or several) are misbehaving, I usually go through the following steps:

1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom’) - iOS 7.x/8.x - find the offending app - then press and drag to the top of the screen - return to the home screen & try again.

2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.

3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

OP
H

hayseed

I will try to explain better.
I have a newer retina display gen. 4. I also have an older I - pad mini.
When I go to view a video, on YouTube, with my newer full size I - pad, the audio starts, but no picture video. Screen stays blank while audio continues. If I press the the play button or pause button whatever it happens to be at the time, the video will come on. When at the time, I press the play/ pause button after the audio has started the video comes on, it must realize at that time it is not in sync with the audio, so it will go into fast forward made until it catches up to where the audio is,mat the time. After the video catches up to the audio, the picture freezes at that point and the audio continues on. When pressing play to view a video, if I do not do anything after that, the audio will play all the way through to the end, and the screen will stay blank.

Now when I go to the exact same YouTube video with my mini, sound and video play as they should.

It does not matter which site I go to. They all are the same audio runs fine video not. I have checked youtube, and daily motion, and another anonymous video site.

I have pressed the power button and home button, to see what would happen. What happens is, I go to that same video on YouTube and play the video, everything works great, video and audio come on and in sync. I believe I can go away from this and it may act right again the second time, but by the third attempt it is back to where it was no video and out of sync when prompted.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Some information that might help:

Are you watching Youtube using the YouTube app, or through the Safari browser?

What version of iOS are the iPad 4 and iPad Mini running?

If you are using the YouTube app, is it up to date? (check in the App Store under the Updates tab to see if there are any pending).

If using the YouTube app, you can try deleting it and re-installing.

OP
H

hayseed

I recently updated the mini when the last update came out. I assume it was the latest, the gen 4 iPad came with osi 8 but not sure if it is updated to latest there is. If you can tell me how to check this I will.
I do not have the YouTube app. I am going through Google. I have checked when you said am I going through safari, I don't know what is going on with the safari browser. When I go to safari it asks me which browser I want to use, if I choose one of these, is this considered safari?

When I choose another browser be it, yahoo, duck or the other one. When I back to the home page. And press safari it comes up Google, every time, even though I did not have it selected. I do have a Google app on my iPad (big)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Safari is the native iPad browser. It's what you get when you tap the compass icon. It is also the app that opens when you tap a link in Mail or most other apps. Some apps have built in browsers and only open Safari if you ask them too, like FaceBook and Twitter.

There is a YouTube app in the app store that generally works better than using Safari, though it takes a little getting used to since it doesn't work like the website. Once it is installed opening a Youtube link in Safari will open the YouTube app and play the video there.

Yahoo, Duck-Duck-Go, and Bing are alternate default search engines that you can choose to use instead of Google. It's not really relevant to this problem, but you make the change in Settings > Safari > Search Engine.

If you bought the iPad 4 new, it did not come with iOS 8. The iPad 4 has never been available with iOS 8. They stopped selling them before it came out. If you bought it within the last couple of months from someone else, they may have upgraded the iPad.

To check your iOS version go to Settings > General > About and look for the Version listing.

There are several Google apps, but I don't think that's what you mean when you say you are going through Google. I'm guessing you are opening Safari, then doing a search, and taking your YouTube links from the search results? Is that right? If not, then please give me a detailed description of what you do, including the app/icon you start with.

If you are using some app other than Safari, the problem might lie there. If it's Safari itself, then it might come down to having to restore the iPad; if all the various resets and other tricks don't work.

OP
H

hayseed

When you talked about maybe you tube app was acting up, and to delete, and reinstall it. When it was that I did not have that app, you made me think that Google was the common denominator. So I uninstalled Google from my desk top site, and it seems everything is running normal. Even the Google that is on the iPad is acting right now, that the app is gone.
How can an app do this? And how are you suppose to diagnose these things, this is just crazy. Are there steps I can take to avoid things like this.m I have never had this happen before. On ant I pad I have had, nor my wife's.

It has to be in great part, this ISO 8.

Sorry again I am not able to put the cursor where I want it to make corrections. I know the hold the stylus to cursor area and it magnifies, but cursor does not stay with me when I try to drag it to the correction, it is baffling why only certain boards like this will act this way, this on this forum is one of them. Is it just me or is this common. It has forced me to be more careful, for sure. But if there is a fix I would love to know what it is.

I am only guessing that this has fixed my problems, but I will get back to you guys if I find it just temporary.

Thanks for helping me with this, I had thought that since I bought it used, that I had bought a bad pad. You guys are great and thanks for having this site up and running.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Off the top of my head, I can't think of any reason the Google app on the desktop should have affected the iPad's video playback.

Well. Maybe one, but it seems unlikely. If the Google app on the desktop were using a bunch of bandwidth it might cause a slow down for everything, including the iPad. If the iPad Mini were using a cellular connection instead, it wouldn't be affected. But, like I said, that seems unlikely.

OP
H

hayseed

Can you explain to me one more thing. I mentioned this in one of my posting, but since it did not seem to be what was causing my problem, it did not need addressing.
But I am curious as to how to change the browser, that comes up when you turn your pad on to browse.
This is the way I believe it goes. You go to setting, safari, then search engines. Now when you choose, a search engine, let's say Yahoo, do you have to reboot for it to take effect. If not Why am I not able to change the browser.

OP
H

hayseed

I just checked again and the YouTube videos are running great.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can you explain to me one more thing. I mentioned this in one of my posting, but since it did not seem to be what was causing my problem, it did not need addressing.
But I am curious as to how to change the browser, that comes up when you turn your pad on to browse.
This is the way I believe it goes. You go to setting, safari, then search engines. Now when you choose, a search engine, let's say Yahoo, do you have to reboot for it to take effect. If not Why am I not able to change the browser.
That is only the search engine you are changing, not the browser. The browser will remain Safari.

Other browsers are available through the App Store, but Safari is sufficient for most users.

OP
H

hayseed

I can not seem to get you to understand, I am getting browser and search engines mixed with one another,
This is all I want to know, when I go to settings, safari, and the to the list of search engines. There in that list is, Google, bing, yahoo, and duck duck go. They each have check marks beside them. The one that is chosen, I think is the one with the blue check mark. This is what I am specifically talking about. If I were to select from that list duck duck go, then closed the settings, went back to home page, selected the icon Safari, I would think what would show up there, would be a search engine of duck duck go. And so on with choosing, yahoo, bing, and so on. But no matter what is chosen in that list, the only one that shows up, when and after I push the Safari icon is Google, even though that selection in the list was not chosen.

What is this list for if choosing one has no effect.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There must be a glitch in your settings. Only one of the serach engines should have a check mark, the one you chose:
image.jpg

Try resetting your iPad: press and hold Home and Power button simultaneously until the Apple logo appears. Let go of both, your device will power up on it's own.

Take a look at this setting again afterwards. Maybe resetting helped.

OP
H

hayseed

I only have one check mark, and that is the blue check, I thought that the others had light gray checks, but as I checked they do not.
This being said what have you to say about this, is this just the way it is or what?
If I have yahoo checked, where would I go to see that yahoo search engine had been chosen?
Or is my thinking about what this all is about and how it should work completely wrong.

Most reactions