What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ouch, advise please

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaymz77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, first off this isn't mine.. It was found along side of the road. Pretty damaged but the screen is perfect. I took it all apart and only found a small chunk of the case plastic was broken, the power button leads were crushed and the volume/mute circuit board was cracked. Everything works but no recognizable picture, it just has random lines. ITunes sees it and even updated the OS. The touch screen seems to work fine since I can see the lines moving when I scroll around the screen. My question, does this sound like just the LCD needs replaced?

Attachments

• image-3820077996.png
    image-3820077996.png
    481.8 KB · Views: 375
OP
J

jaymz77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is a vid..

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhhUvU9OKvo&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks like more than an LCD. Maybe something graphics processor oriented. Or the horizontal hold is just way off. :D

OP
J

jaymz77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hahaha, a bus is right! It Was laying on the side of the road in a leather case. I'll tell ya, the aluminum back is very tough, I couldn't even bend back the corner at all.

OP
J

jaymz77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a few more photos..

Attachments

• image-3807096770.png
    image-3807096770.png
    785.5 KB · Views: 331
  • image-1353315814.png
    image-1353315814.png
    585.3 KB · Views: 333
  • image-16702680.png
    image-16702680.png
    748.6 KB · Views: 358

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do you think an irate partner through it out of a car window???
Perhaps they should of bought 2 one each

OP
J

jaymz77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
55julie55 said:
Do you think an irate partner through it out of a car window???
Perhaps they should of bought 2 one each

Hahaha, I am always fighting to get "my" iPad 2 from my wife!! Although I could never provoke enough to justify a toss out the window!!

Rog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
C'mon people, someone probably left it on the roof of the car.

Sent from my huge iPod touch.

chevyguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guess we found out one thing the iPad isn't..... A frisbee.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you go to the following page at iFixit you'll see a tear down of the iPad.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi Teardown - iFixit

However, why not be a good citizen and try and return the iPad to its rightful owner? As someone mentioned, the owner probably accidentally left it on their car roof and forgot about it while driving off. They might have some valuable or irreplaceable data on the iPad and it sounds as though its in good enough condition that these data could be recovered. If you take it to an Apple Store they'll be able to recover the owner's details by looking at the serial number. For legal reasons, they won't contact the owner but, should the owner report it lost to the police, they would provide that information to authorised law enforcement agencies.

And think how much better you'd feel...

Tim

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can you imagine the anx when you turn to pick up your beloved iPad and it's not on the car seat beside you.
Aggghhhhhhhhh...........
I really feel for that owner if this is the case

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:

Didn't the OP say it restored with iTunes? So did he?

That would have killed any chance of retrieving data. :(

Edit:
He said iTunes updated it. So maybe the info is still there.

OP
J

jaymz77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
If you go to the following page at iFixit you'll see a tear down of the iPad.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi Teardown - iFixit

However, why not be a good citizen and try and return the iPad to its rightful owner? As someone mentioned, the owner probably accidentally left it on their car roof and forgot about it while driving off. They might have some valuable or irreplaceable data on the iPad and it sounds as though its in good enough condition that these data could be recovered. If you take it to an Apple Store they'll be able to recover the owner's details by looking at the serial number. For legal reasons, they won't contact the owner but, should the owner report it lost to the police, they would provide that information to authorised law enforcement agencies.

And think how much better you'd feel...

Tim

I am a tech by trade and did a full backup as well as a restore. There was no data on it but five random photos. I'm pretty sure it is stolen but I have tore the whole thing down and it seems the LCD is broken.

There is no way to contact the owner unless they had their personal info in the iPad, but nothing. It was found on our family property way in the mountains, so I think it was stolen and tossed out after it had run out of battery or something like that. It's too bad, I would be freaking if my iPad disappeared :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts