What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

otterbox defender for ipad 2

xkrrms7942

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this forum, for ipad 2 is my first ipad.

As many owners of an ipad, I was looking for a rugged and protective case for a heavy investment, and found otterbox defender series..it was very pricey but it looked very impressive in terms of ruggedness, so I was searching forums and reviews and oddly, I found many disappointed reviews (mostly comparing from the 1st gen series) that it did not have much durability or so called "ruggedness" so from the actual users of the case how is the case overall in general not comparing with the first series, is it worth the money? is it still protective? or is there any other case that is rugged as the otterbox?

some advice please thank you

Last edited:

nymosis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
These are the most durable cases you're going to get for the iPad.

King.Khoja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the otter case for its durability and protection. I have one on my iphone as well. The only thing I dont like is it makes the iPad 2 much bulkier than it is and you lose that whole 'sleek' look.

nymosis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the otter case for its durability and protection. I have one on my iphone as well. The only thing I dont like is it makes the iPad 2 much bulkier than it is and you lose that whole 'sleek' look.

Yeah I can see that, it's a great case for the iPhone 4 though.

DevinB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really like mine. The only complaint I have, and it really doesn't even count because it's obvious why they did it, but I wish the speaker was covered as well. I plan on getting a mount soon and using the iPad as GPS navigation in the boonies in my jeep. Dust gets everywhere with an open-top jeep, and since the speaker is uncovered...

Buttafingas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too was looking for the most "rugged" protective case, and my search led me to buy the Defender. It does add some weight/bulk, but it is a nice piece of mind especially when using the ipad while standing on concrete, ceramic or any other hard surface. You don't get any "do overs" when dropping an ipad...it will break.

lucyna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I once dropped mine too, thank God it didn't break, so I decide to buy a cover, but otterbox defender is not a good choice for me.

jojaanbutt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm looking at investing in an iPad 2, but can't figure out where the cheapest LEGIT place to get it is. Does anyone know of any places that have good discounts or pricing

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as I have seen they are going for the same price everywhere. This is a very popular device and demand is high so I don't really see anyone discounting it when they can get full retail for it.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well my defender for my ipad 2 just showed up. I was excited to put it on and quickly got it out of the box and started tearing it down so I could get the ipad in there. First thing I noticed was the corners of the cover piece and thought it was a weird design and wondered if it would still cover all of the screen. So I finally got the ipad 2 in the case and everything put back together. I go to throw the cover on and sure enough, those areas of the screen are exposed in each corner when the cover is on... what kind of protection is that? I went to the otterbox site to look at the pictures again but you never see one with an ipad in there and the top cover on otherwise I would have seen this as an issue and never would have ordered it. Now I have to see if I can find someone else who wants to buy it, if not I'll return it.

laserguy007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wookiee2cu said:
Well my defender for my ipad 2 just showed up. I was excited to put it on and quickly got it out of the box and started tearing it down so I could get the ipad in there. First thing I noticed was the corners of the cover piece and thought it was a weird design and wondered if it would still cover all of the screen. So I finally got the ipad 2 in the case and everything put back together. I go to throw the cover on and sure enough, those areas of the screen are exposed in each corner when the cover is on... what kind of protection is that? I went to the otterbox site to look at the pictures again but you never see one with an ipad in there and the top cover on otherwise I would have seen this as an issue and never would have ordered it. Now I have to see if I can find someone else who wants to buy it, if not I'll return it.

How much?

Sent from my iPad 2 White 64GB + 3G Verizon using iPF

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wookiee2cu said:

I just installed my otter box. It's fab. Those exposed areas are fine with me bc I understand otterboxs user friendly interface. The cover is concave for the ipad2 camera. On either side, it's made for the camera, that way the user doesn't have to flip and flip to figure out which way it goes. It's just about 1/2 a square inch in each corner. No biggie. With the screen protector, all should be well. I like the charge flap :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts