What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OS4.3 and iPad2 Printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mixz1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is the iPad2 which ships with OS 4.3 still limited to the 6 HP printers or can you now print to any wireless printer?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Looks like there are a few more than 6 now

iOS: AirPrint 101

But there was no mention of any AirPrint updates in any announcement I've heard. And since 4.3 has been bandied about in beta for a while, I'd expect rumors from developers if they had seen any improvements.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lots of workarounds if you've got a network printer.
Have a search of these forums.
Also many of the newer models print emails.

OP
M

Mixz1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lots of workarounds if you've got a network printer.
Have a search of these forums.
Also many of the newer models print emails.

The only partially successful solutions that I've found involve sharing a printer attached to a computer that's turned on. It's the computer that's on the network, sharing the printer it's attached to. If I've missed something, please let me know.

A true network printer is exactly that; a printer not connected to another computer, but a printer that is a member of the network. I've got two. Neither is an HP. Any notebook on my network can wirelessly print to either of these two printers. The iPad can't.

Before I consider an iPad2 (and I really like mine) as a true business tool, I have to be able to print to stand-alone networked printers as well as shared printers. Until then, it's a dealbreaker.

Reaction score
Many wireless routers nowadays have in-build USB, so that they can share a printer wirelessly. It eliminates the need for an always on computer.

Personally do I use an Airport Express, which is connected to a printer as well as speakers. It works great for playing music/printing from any device on the network. Why Apple limits AirPrint to only a few HP printers is not understandable from a consumer point-of-view, but the 5.5£ spent on Print'n'share get rid of the nuisance.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dmd7765 said:
What are the 6 HP Printers?

This thread is very old. Please use the search function and if you can't find the answer please start a new thread in the appropriate forum, thank you.......thread closed.

The Archangel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts