What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OS? Oh no!

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a map freak.

I was delighted when Ordnance Survey opened up their mapping data to the public domain. No longer did I need to buy a map, I could simply go to the OS site and 'Get A Map'. Perfect for planning a hike, bike ride, or a dog walk while on holiday.

Well now they've changed Get A Map. It's become interactive, you can save your walks etc. In a personal account, make notes and stuff, and email, or embed your route on your own site! Fantastic?

Well, it would be if you could use the new Get A Map on the iPad. You can't, apparently. The system requires you load a Microsoft plug-in to your browser. There's a Mac version but not a mobile version.

What can iPad users do? Pay £12 or more for a third party app (with not very good reviews) - for each map!! How is this fair or democratic?

Sorry, just needed to rant...

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You'll see some great reviews of the app 'UK Map'. I have been using it for a few weeks now and like several other Members reckon it's brilliant. The basic app is £5.99 but maps are free after that. The basic app has the 250,000 scale map loaded, but then you can load additional maps 25,000 and 10,000 for later off-line use and, as I've mentioned, they're free. You can load just as many maps as you want and delete them later if you need the space. The app zooms seamlessly from one scale to the other (you can adjust where the transition occurs) and uses the iPad's compass too. There's even a 3D mode where is uses the topographical information in the maps to provide a 3D view of the landscape.

Highly recommended.

Tim

OP
I

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
You'll see some great reviews of the app 'UK Map'. I have been using it for a few weeks now and like several other Members reckon it's brilliant. The basic app is £5.99 but maps are free after that. The basic app has the 250,000 scale map loaded, but then you can load additional maps 25,000 and 10,000 for later off-line use and, as I've mentioned, they're free. You can load just as many maps as you want and delete them later if you need the space. The app zooms seamlessly from one scale to the other (you can adjust where the transition occurs) and uses the iPad's compass too. There's even a 3D mode where is uses the topographical information in the maps to provide a 3D view of the landscape.

Highly recommended.

Tim

I suppose that's not too bad considering - I've just seen the OS download just for the Peak District at thirty quid!!

As long as UK Map has footpaths, bridlepaths, and landmarks marked on like official OS, it's just what I need.

Thanks Tim.

I don't have 3g so I don't expect a compass app would work, would it? I have an old style physical compass; I don't know if I'd take the iPad out walking, it might get scratched! Normally I'd plan it, PDF it and print it off. I guess it won't be long before you see people on top of Snowdon or Ben Nevis consulting their iPad.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The compass is not part of the GPS so it should be there. There's a free app in the App Store called Compass, so you can check if the compass on your iPad works.

The maps UK Maps downloads are the standard OS 10000 and 25000 maps - so they have on whatever the paper versions of those maps have.

Tim

OP
I

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
The compass is not part of the GPS so it should be there. There's a free app in the App Store called Compass, so you can check if the compass on your iPad works.

The maps UK Maps downloads are the standard OS 10000 and 25000 maps - so they have on whatever the paper versions of those maps have.

Tim

Ok, thanks.

UK Map has gone up to 7 quid now, but I went on the new Get A Map site run by OS on my pc and they want to sting you for thirty quid! for the use of it. The free guest version does not do much. B hell, for the love of Tim Berners Lee! We've already paid for it through our taxes!

Most reactions

Latest posts