What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OS 4.2 upgrade problem

Jetnut57

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum, and would like to say hi. Beside saying hi I would to say how much I love the Ipad.
I was very excited about the upgrade to 4.2 but have not been able to get this done. Every time it backs up it gets stuck on part 1 of 4, 3 quarters of the way through. I have left this on for over 24 hours and nothing happens. I tried synching it first but the same thing happens so I have not been able to upgrade. Is there something I am missing? I know I have a lot of pictures and some apps on this but is should synch and update. help!!!

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like you are having trouble syncing not updating. To update go the first page and click update. It will then update the os to 4.2. If it's snagging when trying to sync more than likely it's a corrupted file. Just don't have it sync whatever its getting stuck on then add it back a bit at a time until you find what movie/book..ect is making it stick.

OP
J

Jetnut57

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I've tried to just update it without synching, itunes looks like it's updating but it never updates the ipad, it usually throws me back to backing up the ipad and never finishes, I've tried this a lot of times. I was hoping there was a way to update it without going through the backing up part but it's not allowing me. :-(

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have not used this particular program, but many people have had success using a program called "Backoff" which allows you to bypass the backup process while syncing. The program can be found at -- BackOff Speeds Up iTunes Sync for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad

Please note that this does not fix the issue you are having with an app that is causing the problem, it is only a workaround.

OP
J

Jetnut57

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks like the Backoff program worked, evrything was going smoothly then the Ipad and Itunes froze on me. I eventually had to call Apple Tech support, not wait, very nice. I had to restore back to factory settings, this eventually worked sometime when I was sleeping last night. The Ipad is up and running but it looks like not all of the Apps are back on the Ipad but are in Itunes on different pages, any clue how to get them on the Ipad?

Thanks for all of the help, very much appreciated.

Dufferpaul75

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I cannot get past the processing message. I get a message the network connection is lost. I have tried to just download the update but the same thing happens. I have tried to download the update several times the past week.
I am new here and am new to the Ipad

Dufferpaul75

iPF Noob
Reaction score
4.2 download

I finally got the update installed in my Ipad. I disabled Kaspersky security and proceeded with the download. Everything worked fine. Problem solved.
Paul

Most reactions