What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Original IPAD

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using the original IPAD and the original OS. Can I upgradecto the latest version without any issues.

Absolutely there's no problem - you can go to iOS 4.3.3 and you'll get multi-tasking, if you're still on iOS 3.2 - it works fine on the iPad1. But backup your iPad first with iTunes as a precaution.

Let us know if you experience any problems or need any help

Tim

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Whilst I agree completely with Tim, I would throw in a word of caution as I've seen this crop up before.
If you are upgrading from 3.2 to 4.3.3 that is a significant jump across a major OS upgrade and many minor versions in between.
In an ideal situation you will not run into problems, but if you do experience issues after the upgrade this will probably be down to incompatible settings being taken across from the very old 3.2 OS to the latest 4.3.3 one. Apple are good, but not perfect at getting upgrades to work.

If you are not worried about the application settings you have being kept, you could consider a "restore" rather than an "upgrade". This will set your iPad up as though it was a new device on 4.3.3. You can still sync all your Apps, Music, Video, etc back onto the "new" device, but you would not have your settings or saved data (e.g. game save information, documents, etc.) If this does not bother you, a restore may be a better route to take than an upgrade. When promtped at the end of the restore process, you would just choose "set up as new device".

If you do choose to go with the upgrade, that's not a problem. Just remember, if you do experience crashes, freezes, or just general instability, be sure to post back here and we'll see if we can help you resolve it. The answer will be to then try a "restore".

Hope that helps, and does not confuse you!

bastospn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You shouldn't have any problems with the upgrade, and I must say that 4.3.3 is very stable. The only problem that I notice there is when you run out of disk space and some apps like safari starts to cramble down. You should also check if your apps were tested agains the more recent IOS as some of them could in fact doesn't work correctly. I remember that when I uptdate to 4.2 it fails to run some games correctly.
I would like to said that ipad, despite being almost 1 year old is still one of best tabs out there, and I hope updates keep coming,
Good luck on the upgrade!

juanaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently upgraded my iPad 1 (32g wifi/3G model) and it seems to be freezing as I am typing at times and also, this just started today.... Every once in awhile as I type my iPad will say a word out loud. Weird... But I have always upgraded, every time a new upgrade becomes available. Also when I am scrolling thru my emails it's like the screen freezes up for a moments. Any help?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently upgraded my iPad 1 (32g wifi/3G model) and it seems to be freezing as I am typing at times and also, this just started today.... Every once in awhile as I type my iPad will say a word out loud. Weird... But I have always upgraded, every time a new upgrade becomes available. Also when I am scrolling thru my emails it's like the screen freezes up for a moments. Any help?

An easy first step to solving this problem is to power recycle the iPad - i.e. turn it completely off by pressing and holding the Power switch until the slider appears, accept the offer to switch off, wait until the screen has gone completely blank, then power on again - hold the Power switch until the white Apple icon appears and then wait for your iPad to complete its power up.

This procedure - even Apple recommend you do this occasionally - seems to fix a whole load of problems.

Tim

leey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm, 4.3.3 +1, so far stable for me, and I like multi-tasking~

juanaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I powered down and the scrolling is a lot smoother. Thanks! But while I was typing it still did say the word I was typing. Is this some setting I might have hit somewhere and didn't know. It's kinda funny, but strange too. Lol
Thanks for the power down idea. Also, what happens when you 'restore' your iPad to original settings. I thought about that too but I came to the forum first. And really couldn't find the answer...
Thanks for taking your time to answer questions!

iwhat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I powered down and the scrolling is a lot smoother. Thanks! But while I was typing it still did say the word I was typing. Is this some setting I might have hit somewhere and didn't know. It's kinda funny, but strange too. Lol
Thanks for the power down idea. Also, what happens when you 'restore' your iPad to original settings. I thought about that too but I came to the forum first. And really couldn't find the answer...
Thanks for taking your time to answer questions!

You have turned on the Accessibility Feature which is meant for visaully impaired people.
To turn it off just do the following:
- Click the setting(the one with silver gears) icon on your homescreen
- select "General" on the left panel if not already selected
- Then on the right panel select "Accessibility" near the bottom overr the "Reset"
- Check if the "VoiceOver" or "Speak Auto-Text" is set to "On"
- Just set them to "Off"
Voila! The iPad will no more haunt you with its voice speaking the words you type.

About the "restore to original settings" part,I am not quite sure what you want idea you are trying to convey,but
the simple answer is when you restore to original settings your ipad get rid of everything and goes back the the original
state as you have found it on the very first boot after you unpacked it for the first time,kind of brand new state.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Last edited:

juanaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! You "fixed" my speaking iPad.. And answered my restore question, that's all I needed was a simple answer. When I would look up it was always a really in depth answer.

Most reactions