What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Original ipad

Tonyhyett6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everyone in my house has either a new iPad or iPad mini except my wife who has an original ,
But she cannot get certain apps or upgrade past I.s.o 5
Does this mean that Apple has abandoned here for the newer models ?
She is driving me mad , please help
tonyhyett6 (newbie)

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Welcome to iPadForums. We hope you enjoy your stay with us. Please also take the time to peruse the forum rules here and abide by them as you post throughout the forum.

In terms of iOS support, yes, Apple has denoted the iPad 1 as a legacy device, and the latest iOS that the device can support is iOS 5.1.1. The majority of apps on the market at the moment are iOS 5.1+, a large chunk being iOS 6+ only, and a small portion iOS 7+ only. In cases where the app is iOS 6+ only, if the app (at some point) supported iOS 5, then on the iPad, you can download the iOS 5-supported version of the application.

Example, if a particular application <app name> supported iOS 5 on version 3.8. Then it introduced iOS 6 only in version 3.9 lets say. Then if you were to download the app on the iPad 1, it will show a message saying that your device does not support the current version of the application because it's a legacy device, but, there's an older version that you can download that will work for your device. Note that this is not the case for all applications.

OP
T

Tonyhyett6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks very much , looks like a new iPad for her birthday then ,
Thank you

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sure thing. For basic dealings such as reading the paper, reading a book, browsing the web, streaming a few videos or media, the iPad 1 would still be able to accomplish that with soaring colors even considering that the device is several years old, so as a device to keep around the house for loose use or as a secondary device. For application support, unfortunately a new device is necessary.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks very much , looks like a new iPad for her birthday then ,
Thank you

Tony - LOL! :) You've already received excellent advice - my suggestion would have been for you to swap your iPad for hers which I'm sure would have made her happy!

Just joking, of course ;) - but you've already decided that a new iPad is your best choice - I'm almost 3 yrs on an iPad 2 - looking @ the Air - maybe I'll wait until March, its 3rd birthday and then pick up the newest model? Good luck - Dave

Most reactions

Latest posts