What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Original iPad microphone not working

Psdsoft

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just had the same problem, my microphone stopped working after avfew weeks, although if you shouted into it there was a tiny signal. Apple service center, told them, they didnt even test, ordered me a new iPad immediately. Happy now.

Amani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did try another application "Shazam" and it did not detect any external sounds as well. It use to work fine before, and have no idea what happend.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you've tried the hard and soft reset, reboot, checked with other apps then I have to come to the unfortunate conclusion that it's a hardware fault. If you have an Apple Store - or Apple distributor - nearby, then I would return it there for them to check it over.

Tim

ipadgeo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Tim,
I got my iPad about 2-3 weeks ago and i got the same problem with the mic and skype.
I tryied to the restart you said but no changes i stil can heard by others.
The only thing that heard from my mic is a sound like my mic is jammed.
Any ideas?

Thnx, George

Cameronp26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Microphone just stopped working

Hi. I've been using Skype for weeks with no problem, and all of the sudden it just stopped. I tried the restart suggested above and left it turned off all night, but it didn't work. Any other suggestions? I'm overseas and need it to communicate with family. There are no apple stores to ake it to.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Cameronp26 said:
Hi. I've been using Skype for weeks with no problem, and all of the sudden it just stopped. I tried the restart suggested above and left it turned off all night, but it didn't work. Any other suggestions? I'm overseas and need it to communicate with family. There are no apple stores to ake it to.

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

If you've tried a restart, then a reset is the way to go now. Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you will see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start.
On another line of thought have you upgraded your iPad to 5.1? I've just noticed there is an update for Skype here in the last day or so. Whenever there is an update for the iPad, apps also need to be updated to run on the new OS smoothly, so maybe this can explain your problem? So if you have updated your ipad and not the app, it's a good idea to do it. Let us know how you go.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Franchise man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I picked up off another site that sometimes a good clean will fix it. I still took it in to the apple store and was told Ă‚ÂŁ199 to replace as they can't repair. So for the hell of it I stuck a very strong vacuum over the mike hole and blow me down the thing is working. I had to do it a couple of times but all is now well and I am Ă‚ÂŁ199 better off.

arismitaa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem still persists, microphone not working even after restarting

Try this - just in case - and then get back to us and let us know if the problem still persists....

Restart the iPad. Press *and hold* the Power button. After a couple of seconds a slider control will appear asking you to confirm that you really want to switch the iPad off (this is all you’ll be doing). Slide the control to accept. A rotating white ‘bezel’ will appear in the iPad screen as the iPad powers down (it takes a few seconds, just like it would if you were shutting down your PC). When the screen of the iPad has gone completely blank, press *and hold* the Power button for a couple of seconds until the white Apple logo appears and the iPad starts to power up. This takes several seconds, so be patient. During the power up the automatic screen orientation function is disabled, so don’t panic. A few seconds before the power up is complete, the iPad plays a little ‘jingle’ and then you’re back to the Home screen. Restart the iPad’s app and see if the problem persists. Apple (and Forum members) recommend that you power down your iPad at least once a week, just as you might regularly completely switch off your PC. The normal procedure of just briefly pressing the Power button of the iPad merely puts it to ‘sleep’.

Tim
Scotland
Hello there,
Can you help me with some other options, how do I go to the settings options for microphone in iPad, I have the older version. Initially I thought its a Skype issue but later I found while trying to record a video that the problem is with the iPad mic.
Thanks in advance for any anticipated help...
Regards..

Most reactions