What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Original iPad microphone not working

AlanU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The built-in mike on my iPad (original model), 64 with 3G has stopped working. Are there any settings or software that could have turned it off, or is this a hardware problem requiring Apple repair?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The built-in mike on my iPad (original model), 64 with 3G has stopped working. Are there any settings or software that could have turned it off, or is this a hardware problem requiring Apple repair?

Try this - just in case - and then get back to us and let us know if the problem still persists....

Restart the iPad. Press *and hold* the Power button. After a couple of seconds a slider control will appear asking you to confirm that you really want to switch the iPad off (this is all you’ll be doing). Slide the control to accept. A rotating white ‘bezel’ will appear in the iPad screen as the iPad powers down (it takes a few seconds, just like it would if you were shutting down your PC). When the screen of the iPad has gone completely blank, press *and hold* the Power button for a couple of seconds until the white Apple logo appears and the iPad starts to power up. This takes several seconds, so be patient. During the power up the automatic screen orientation function is disabled, so don’t panic. A few seconds before the power up is complete, the iPad plays a little ‘jingle’ and then you’re back to the Home screen. Restart the iPad’s app and see if the problem persists. Apple (and Forum members) recommend that you power down your iPad at least once a week, just as you might regularly completely switch off your PC. The normal procedure of just briefly pressing the Power button of the iPad merely puts it to ‘sleep’.

Tim
Scotland

OP
A

AlanU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad microphone problem fixed

Tim's suggestion of a full reset worked! :)

Why didn't I think of that? Sometimes its so easy!

Thanks!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a very simple mind, so I can only think of very simple solutions. If it's complex I go all weak at the knees...

Tim
Scotland

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a very simple mind, so I can only think of very simple solutions. If it's complex I go all weak at the knees...

Tim
Scotland
We call that using the K.I.S.S. method! For the more sophisticated, we call it Occam's Razor which states that the simplest answer is usually correct!

Sfp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried restart but still not working

Tried the restart method but voice recording ie mic still don't work what else can I do? Tks

adjuvant

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried the restart method but voice recording ie mic still don't work what else can I do? Tks

I had the same problem yesterday in that Skype did not seem to be having the microphone working. Since I had powered down the iPad1 over night, I tried Skype again this morning (after reading this thread, and Voila, Skype's microphone was working again.

So guess there is a modest bug somewhere in the present iPad OS SW or FW that results in the microphone toggling to mute, some how (no, it was not the mute option of the slider switch in my case) The bug may just go away with the new iOS coming out soon.

newf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my microphone

Tim,
I am a new iPad owner and a learning as I go Grandma.
(with my toys.. electronics)
I was having trouble with the mic. and I read your reset suggestion. Worked great and I was able to call my sister on skype...from my new iPad. Thank you all for this forum.
Thanks
Newf

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim,
I was having trouble with the mic. and I read your reset suggestion. Worked great and I was able to call my sister on skype...from my new iPad. Thank you all for this forum.
Thanks
Newf

Glad to hear! Hope you enjoy your new iPad.

Tim

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim,
Thanks
Newf

Glad to hear! Hope you enjoy your new iPad.

Tim

Is there a thread that discusses stereo headset microphones that work with the iPad and Skype or FaceTime? I tried the search function (in TapaTalk) but could not find anything. Thanks.

Amani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried the restart suggestion provided above, and I still cannot record through my 'audionote" application. It just doesnt record or detect any external sounds! any suggestions please.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried the restart suggestion provided above, and I still cannot record through my 'audionote" application. It just doesnt record or detect any external sounds! any suggestions please.

Next stage is a reboot...hold the Power and Home buttons at the same time until the white Apple logo appears - it can take a while but, have faith, it will appear - could take 20 seconds.

The iPad will then reboot - this too takes a while. No apps or data will be lost - it's only a reboot. See if that fixes the problem, if not, get back to us. We're here to help...:)

Tim

Amani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Microhone problem

Thanks a lot Tim for offering to help. I tried the reboot suggestion and the microphone still doesnt work! Otherwise all working fine. Any other suggestions??

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Tim for offering to help. I tried the reboot suggestion and the microphone still doesnt work! Otherwise all working fine. Any other suggestions??

Does the microphone work in other apps? If you don't have one that uses a microphone, there are several free apps in the iPad's App Store that you could use to check to see if this is a universal problem or specific to the app that you're trying to use.

Tim

Most reactions