What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origami Workstation (keyboard case/stand)

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
black04.jpg

Inspired by the Japanese art of paper-folding, our Origami Workstation provides complete protection for your Apple Wireless Keyboard. It also folds quickly and easily into a stand that offers both horizontal and vertical iPad positions for flexible viewing options. Even better, it works with most iPad cases, so you can keep your iPad in its own case while you type.

$29.95

Origami Workstation for iPad and Wireless Keyboard : Products By Incase

More images:

http://www.goincase.com/products/images/CL57820/detail/black02.jpg

http://www.goincase.com/products/images/CL57820/detail/black03.jpg

http://www.goincase.com/products/images/CL57820/detail/black01.jpg

Works with iPad and iPad 2.

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions about this case.

Does it hold BOTH the keyboard and the iPad? What protects the iPad screen if the iPad folds down on top of the keyboard? Will it hold the iPad with Smartcover attached?

Thanks.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions about this case.

Does it hold BOTH the keyboard and the iPad? What protects the iPad screen if the iPad folds down on top of the keyboard? Will it hold the iPad with Smartcover attached?

Thanks.

Hi Plainsman. I have this case and it is a separate case for the keyboard only. It holds the iPad as shown above only when open. Take a look at some of the pics on InCase's site and you will have a better idea. We have discussed it fairly thoroughly in other threads, just search for "Origami Workstation." It's an *excellent* piece btw.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Plainsman said:
Thanks for the response, info. Very helpful.

You are most welcome. From what I've heard you say... I think you would love it. :)

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Plainsman,

As I suspect you realize, I mentioned the Origami Workstation in your thread about the Apple Wireless Keyboard. I'd recommend it without reservation. The keyboard snaps tightly into the OW's clips around the barrel at the top of the keyboard. The top of the OW then folds over the keyboard and the whole arrangement is held closed with two velcro tabs. Open the OW and the top folds (origami-like) into two stiff triangles that are held together with the same velcro tabs to provide a support for the iPad in either landscape or portrait mode.

The iPad, itself, is not secured to the OW. It simply sits against the support behind the keyboard. That's both an advantage and a risk. It means the iPad can be used even with a case on the back and a SmartCover in the "folded over" position. And it means it can be used with either the iPad or the iPad 2. It also means you can leave the keyboard in place on, say, a desk and use the iPad separately.

On the other hand, because the iPad isn't held in place, you cannot simply pick the entire arrangement up to move it with one hand as you can with a combo keyboard/iPad case (e.g. Zaggmate/Logitech). Furthermore, the OW/keyboard combination is, of course, more unwieldy than the keyboard alone though you can pop the keyboard out and use it on your lap with the OW serving as a stand for the iPad.

IMO, the biggest advantage of the OW over the keyboard/iPad combo cases is that you can use the Apple Wireless keyboard with its excellent feel and almost full size keys. Products like the Zaggmate reduce the size of the keyboard to fit into a case just large enough to accommodate the iPad. And, of course, if you want to use the iPad without a keyboard but with a case of some kind, the OW works; other options don't.

Just to round out the comments, some people have experienced problems with the velcro tabs on the OW detaching over time. I suspect that may have been an early production problem. Mine have remained very secure. Otherwise, the only downside of the OW is that it's covered in black "rubberized plastic." Not the classiest covering, imo, but quite functional and at $30, I'm not complaining.

All in all, as you can tell, I'm a big fan of the Origami Workstation. It's a very clever design, well executed. For about the same price as one of the combo keyboard/iPad cases, it provides a better keyboard and more flexibility in its use. If you're going to travel, it helps to have a bag that accommodates both the OW and the iPad. There are many available. I have one from Waterfield Design (Travel Express) and another, somewhat larger messenger bag from Timbuk2 (Freestyle). I'd recommend either one.

Last edited:

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For Origami Workstation Fans:

I've just "discovered" that a small piece of Velcro can serve to widen the legs on the Origami Workstation and make for an "infinite" number of usable angles for the iPad. Terrific, and it only takes a second to do. :)

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just wanted to thank all of you who provided input about the Incase Origami Workstation for iPad 1 and 2 and Apple Wireless Keyboard.

I have the smart cover and a clam shell back on my iPad 2 and everything is a perfect fit for the workstation that just arrived today.

I know a couple of other people at work who have iPads. I'm definitely recommending this forum to them. You are all so helpful.

Thank you very much!

Allyson

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Asharp said:
I just wanted to thank all of you who provided input about the Incase Origami Workstation for iPad 1 and 2 and Apple Wireless Keyboard.

I have the smart cover and a clam shell back on my iPad 2 and everything is a perfect fit for the workstation that just arrived today.

I know a couple of other people at work who have iPads. I'm definitely recommending this forum to them. You are all so helpful.

Thank you very much!

Allyson

Congrats on a good purchase.

Most reactions