What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Organizing email

Lori51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello -

I am a brand new iPad user and am finding my way around it Ok. How can I save email in a file or folder?

Also, when I use the "edit" or move function, nothing happens, so I cannot even move email from inbox to drafts.

Appreciate the help.

Lori51

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - if you want to have additional folders in the iPad's Mail app you need to use the IMAP mail protocol. Unlike Windows Mail, you cannot create folders in the iPad's Mail app. You need to create them on your email server first - perhaps using webmail - and then check that you're using the IMAP mail protocol (the POP protocol cannot do this). IMAP makes the iPad Mail app a virtual 'window' onto your ISP's email server so, any folder structure you establish there, will be replicated in the view you see on the iPad.

If your ISP doesn't support the newer IMAP protocol (most do) then you cannot create new folders on the iPad Mail app.

You can change the protocol in the iPad's 'Settings' app - go to 'Mail, Contacts, Calendar', 'Accounts', click on the account that you're using and edit the settings to switch from POP to IMAP..

Tim

dbeth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you can hold out a bit, iOS 5 is supposed to add this feature to the Mail app (adding folders and such).

OP
L

Lori51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for email info

Thanks for the info.;)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lori51 said:
Hello -

Also, when I use the "edit" or move function, nothing happens, so I cannot even move email from inbox to drafts.

Appreciate the help.

Lori51

just to clarify your second question, when you click edit you then need to touch the small circle to the left of the particular email which will then light up and you can then use the appropriate action.

When you click move the email should shrink and at the top of the screen you should get a message something like "tap mailbox to move message to" but you won't be able to move to the greyed out mailboxes.

The drafts folder is for your unsent emails......try this, write a new email but don't send it, click cancel (at top left) and you will get the options to save or delete the draft, if you save then it will go into your drafts folder.

The Archangel

evilgypsywitch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am trying to figure how do I create a folder in my email such as "personal mails" I see someone wrote that it was coming on IOS5 I have that but still can't figure out how to do it.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
evilgypsywitch said:
I am trying to figure how do I create a folder in my email such as "personal mails" I see someone wrote that it was coming on IOS5 I have that but still can't figure out how to do it.

It depends a bit on what type of account that you have but see if this helps......

image-2460400658.jpg

image-2046188119.jpg

The Archangel

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
evilgypsywitch said:
I am running outlook and iCloud

So did you try doing what's in the images in my post? If it didn't work then let us know and we can try to think of something else.

The Archangel

evilgypsywitch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
So did you try doing what's in the images in my post? If it didn't work then let us know and we can try to think of something else.

The Archangel

Yes but I don't have the option all I have is delete mark or move. And can only move to sent or trash

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In that case you would probably have to create the folder on your email server rather than on the iPad (although I'm no expert in these things!).

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts