What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Organize Ipad Apps

loveylovey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how I can organize my Apps into folders e.g. Games, Documents etc.?

Your he would be most appreciated.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, and welcome to the forum. It's good to "see" you and I hope you enjoy your visits.

To create folders, press and hold any icon until it "wiggles." Then while still holding the icon, move it over the top of another. After a brief pause, they will dissolve together and a folder will be created and opened. There is a line at the type of the folder that the Apple software will put a default title. However, if you put your cursor there, you will get the option to title the folder however you wish.

Once a folder is created, and while in the wiggle mode, you just "drag and drop" icons into the folder. Once you're done, you've got your icons all nicely arranged.

Have a look through this thread for more neat stuff you can do with the iPad: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

OP
L

loveylovey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Marilyn, you are so helpful and so clear- thank you very much. I have created the folders based on your instructions.

But don't seem to be able to drop another icon from one page to the folder created on another page. For ex I created a game folder on page 1 on the iPad but have another game icon on page 2', I can't seem to drop to the game folder on page 1? Hope you can shed some lights on this also, thank you.

Last edited:

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is a great free app called scotutor for ipad, that is full of videos and tips. Ideal for beginners

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Marilyn, you are so helpful and so clear- thank you very much. I have created the folders based on your instructions.

But don't seem to be able to drop another icon from one page to the folder created on another page. For ex I created a game folder on page 1 on the iPad but have another game icon on page 2', I can't seem to drop to the game folder on page 1? Hope you can shed some lights on this also, thank you.

You've got two steps mixed up in this question (folder creation and moving apps between pages), so let me break it down:

The icons you want to put into a folder have to be on the same page. That's because you're not copying them as if they were on a "regular" computer. You can only physically move and place them.

So, to get an icon onto another page, out it into the wiggle mode (press and hold). Then, while it's wiggling, press and hold it and, while still holding it, drag it to the side of the page, towards the page on which you wish to place it. As you hold the icon against the page side, the page should turn and then you can release the icon.

Do note that this is a somewhat finicky process that takes practice and patience. What a lot of people do is put the icon(s) you want to move onto the dock. Then, you can swipe to the page you want and move the icon(s) up off the dock. It seems to work easier, plus there is thoe added benefit that you can move more than one icon at a time.

Then, once the icon is on the same page as your folder, you can press and hold that icon and drag it over on top of the folder. Once it's accepted, you can then release it and your job is done.

There, clear as mud! :) This should work for you. If not, please holler back and I'll take another stab at it.

Marilyn

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, Marilyn-did not know about placing in the dock first! This will be easier to move around as well!

castagnola68

iPF Noob
Reaction score
followthesapper said:
There is a great free app called scotutor for ipad, that is full of videos and tips. Ideal for beginners

This app seems to no longer exist. Bummer, I really could have used it.

Most reactions

Latest posts