What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Optimized for 4th Generation iPad

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've had several application updates show up and some say...........
"Optimized for 4th Generation iPad"

So, what do you think this optimized for iPad 4 really means?
Is it just BS?
Or, is there some graphics/processor intensive upgrades put in place for the increased performance of this iPad?

I seem to notice it on the more graphics intensivie applications (i.e. Asphalt 7: Heat v 1.0.4).
What do you think? :eek:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think it is likely BS...but you never know. I think it if is truly optimized for iPad 4, it's performance would suffer on the lessor models. In my mind, if it is not just marketing talk, they would need to add features that work best on iPad 4.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Better graphics probably. I think developers can upgrade graphics so that they appear to best advantage on retina screen, but still work on older iPads. The bad thing for owners of older devices, the upgraded apps take more storage even though they don't get the benefit of the optimized graphics. So those who own say iPad 1 and 2, especially with 16GBs, might feel a storage pinch without any advantage. Of course, iPad 3 has retina screen, too.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Better graphics probably. I think developers can upgrade graphics so that they appear to best advantage on retina screen, but still work on older iPads. The bad thing for owners of older devices, the upgraded apps take more storage even though they don't get the benefit of the optimized graphics. So those who own say iPad 1 and 2, especially with 16GBs, might feel a storage pinch without any advantage. Of course, iPad 3 has retina screen, too.

Yeah, that's what they mean. I guess since iPad 3 doesn't exist anymore they have to say "iPad 4" now....but the optimizations are the same for both models. I think they'd be better of saying "optimize for retina display"...because next year the mini will have a retina display too...so they cover more bases than naming a particular model, IMO. Still, that wording would slow down someone who owns an iPad 2 or a current mini.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think developers will limit true optimization for now, because the bulk of iPads are still older models. After tipping point with more people going to newer models, they'll probably stop supporting older versions or have to do more than one version of an app. You already see that, because you need a later iOS for some apps, and older iDevices (including iPhones) have stopped getting firmware upgrades, so they're stuck using older versions of apps, and some developers stop supporting those after awhile. Depends on how developers want to spend their resources.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I hope you all don't mind me bringing up another thread. But I think this quoted thread will provide insight on what is meant by "optimized for the new iPad" phrase. I would draw your attention to post #39 authored by Skull One. According to that post, optimizing an app to take advantage of retina display is a matter of writing code to turn on that feature. I am severely simplifying this process. I promote reading this thread to further our understanding of what optimizing an app means.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-4-fo...eally-know-we-bought-ipad4-where-noted-4.html

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope you all don't mind me bringing up another thread. But I think this quoted thread will provide insight on what is meant by "optimized for the new iPad" phrase. I would draw your attention to post #39 authored by Skull One. According to that post, optimizing an app to take advantage of retina display is a matter of writing code to turn on that feature. I am severely simplifying this process. I promote reading this thread to further our understanding of what optimizing an app means.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-4-fo...eally-know-we-bought-ipad4-where-noted-4.html

I read Skull's explanation, which jibes with my layman's understanding. (I read tech blogs and ask my husband, who's an IT guy, when I can't figure out stuff by searching online, lol.)

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I read Skull's explanation, which jibes with my layman's understanding. (I read tech blogs and ask my husband, who's an IT guy, when I can't figure out stuff by searching online, lol.)

I think you do very well with technology and sharing your knowledge here on this forum!

OP
buerkletucson

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Yes that was a great thread with a lot of good information and a little fun jabbing......to bad the OP didn't think so.
Graphics is what I figured it was and seems to be the concensus here.

Thanks all.....

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Optimizing for retina screens is the main reason app sizes started growing once the retina iPads hit the market. Now, more assets are needed to support different resolutions.

Most reactions

Latest posts