What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinions on 4.2.1

Mossi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I (knock on wood) haven't experience the Wi-Fi problem like I did with 3.2 thankfully - that was FRUSTRATING!

Has anyone recommended a resolution for those who are affected yet?

Nothing yet im so close to getting a galaxy tab now its totally wound me up, wifi only pad that cant receive wifi and they knew it was a problem before the release, my first apple product after people said they are so good well it may well be my last
Let us know how that works out for you! LOL

Hivoltage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Am I wrong, or can we still Not listen to music while using other apps?

I can...and I could before the update. Unless it was games that had sound, but I didn't want to listen to music then anyhow.

Mossi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Am I wrong, or can we still Not listen to music while using other apps?

I can...and I could before the update. Unless it was games that had sound, but I didn't want to listen to music then anyhow.
How would I do that? I've never been able to. I have an app with soft music for sleep and I'd love to be able to listen while I do logic problems, etc.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I truly enjoy the 4.2.1 and the features. I would never buy windows or android based units as they are open source and open source means virus ...one infected app and your device is infected.
Apple is a closed source and monitors all their apps.

LOL. That is one of the least intelligent things I ever read. And I am trying my hardest to be kind. First of all, nothing Windows based is open source. Secondly, the only way to get a virus on Android is to manually download the apk file, go into the settings and enable the ability to install non-secure software after reading the warning that doing so may harm your device, and then load and install the apk on the phone. So basically, if you get a virus on Android, you deserve it.

Also, this is Google's take on it:

"Our application permissions model protects against this type of threat. When installing an application, users see a screen that explains clearly what information and system resources the application has permission to access, such as a user's phone number or sending an SMS. Users must explicitly approve this access in order to continue with the installation, and they may uninstall applications at any time. We consistently advise users to only install apps they trust. In particular, users should exercise caution when installing applications outside of Android Market."

Basically, whenever you install an application, Google pops up a window showing you EXACTLY what that particular application has access to. Basically, its easy to spot if an application is legit or not, because clocks and media players dont need access to SMS and Contacts.

Edit: Also, Apple has let in Applications before that have ridiculous hidden features, so they aren't scanning for viruses or anything. Remember that flashlight app that magically morphed into a Wifi Hotspot? Apple sure didn't spot that until after approving it and letting it on the app store.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How would I do that? I've never been able to. I have an app with soft music for sleep and I'd love to be able to listen while I do logic problems, etc.

The only app that would support playing background music before the update was Apple's own iPod app. Now pretty much any music player that's 4.2 compatible will do so. My preference is for Rhapsody.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only app that would support playing background music before the update was Apple's own iPod app. Now pretty much any music player that's 4.2 compatible will do so. My preference is for Rhapsody.

He might be using one of those "go to sleep" apps that play soothing sounds or whatnot. Could be that that app doesn't continue playing in the background. Maybe it was assumed you would be trying to sleep and not poking around another app.... Kidding! lol ;)

dminches

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Something has changed with the connector port and those of us who used the camera connector kit with and external headphone amp can no longer do this. I now getban error saying thatnthe device requires too much power. What did apple do to the port and why?

bastones

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I truly enjoy the 4.2.1 and the features. I would never buy windows or android based units as they are open source and open source means virus ...one infected app and your device is infected.

LOL. That is one of the least intelligent things I ever read. And I am trying my hardest to be kind. First of all, nothing Windows based is open source. Secondly, the only way to get a virus on Android is to manually download the apk file, go into the settings and enable the ability to install non-secure software after reading the warning that doing so may harm your device, and then load and install the apk on the phone. So basically, if you get a virus on Android, you deserve it.

"Our application permissions model protects against this type of threat. When installing an application, users see a screen that explains clearly what information and system resources the application has permission to access, such as a user's phone number or sending an SMS. Users must explicitly approve this access in order to continue with the installation, and they may uninstall applications at any time. We consistently advise users to only install apps they trust. In particular, users should exercise caution when installing applications outside of Android Market."

Basically, whenever you install an application, Google pops up a window showing you EXACTLY what that particular application has access to. Basically, its easy to spot if an application is legit or not, because clocks and media players dont need access to SMS and Contacts.

Edit: Also, Apple has let in Applications before that have ridiculous hidden features, so they aren't scanning for viruses or anything. Remember that flashlight app that magically morphed into a Wifi Hotspot? Apple sure didn't spot that until after approving it and letting it on the app store.

Have to say that was well said :). A lot of people would of just ridiculed him but your response was spot on!

OP
D

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Wow.....boy do you have your facts backwards or what. LOL!!!!

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score

As a Android phone owner I actually got educated a bit from reading this post. I think that I knew to be cautious and read what the app was connecting too, but I never thought of specific apps and their need to access contacts. So far my ignorance has not caused me any damage.

There was a large Malware attack that occurred on the Android side about 2 months ago. What happened here was people were downloading wall paper that was requesting access to personal data. The funny thing about it was that although there were thousands of these wallpapers they were some of the ugliest things I'd ever seen, so regardless of what it showed having access to I would have never downloaded it in the first place.

Magnus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update hickups

Just done ig update, great! Can get swedish keyboard, however the flip switch for rotating is now à mute flip switch and things are SLOW sometimes...anyone know if these things get fixed soon?? Has mine since may, not sure hos i survived before...:)

Most reactions

Latest posts