What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinions on 4.2.1

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lol Marie i work on rotating shift one weekend off in 3 unlike some California gurls i worked this weekend inc Sunday yes dear it is now Sunday 10: 30 pm here..Oh and it is almost summer down under..................and I love my apple tv it is the older 160gb one

Last edited:

sharpey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nothing is ever 100% free of defect. There is no way they can account for all of the different internet router and security settings for every single person. So of course there are going to be bugs that need to be worked out.

You are in the minority, most of us are surfing the net on Wi-Fi without a problem. Apple didn't mess up the update, there are just a small amount of people having a problem that needs to be worked out.

You say THOUSANDS of people are having this problem, even assuming the max of the term "thousands" at 999,999 (which is a gross overestimate) of the 6 million or more iPads sold, that is still a small minority. It sucks that you are having problems and I hope you get them worked out, but most of us are happy.

Plain and simple.

edit:

Let me say this in a more polite manner. You are getting ready to "jump ship" over an update that YOU are having problems with. The problem WILL get worked out, you are coming up with a permanent solution to a temporary problem. That's the same thing they say about suicide. Wait it out a little longer, do some active research (I'm sure you already have been though) and keep trying different proposed solutions, the problem will get solved. Or you could just go get the Samsung Galaxy Tab, which a larger percentage of people are having problems with compared to the iPad.

I'll be sure to tell everyone over at apple discussions that this apple fanboy says the problems are all their fault and not apples i will link here so they can say hi if they want

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh and it is almost summer down under..................and I love my apple tv it is the older 160gb one

e97aabe2.png

xo!

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nothing is ever 100% free of defect. There is no way they can account for all of the different internet router and security settings for every single person. So of course there are going to be bugs that need to be worked out.

You are in the minority, most of us are surfing the net on Wi-Fi without a problem. Apple didn't mess up the update, there are just a small amount of people having a problem that needs to be worked out.

You say THOUSANDS of people are having this problem, even assuming the max of the term "thousands" at 999,999 (which is a gross overestimate) of the 6 million or more iPads sold, that is still a small minority. It sucks that you are having problems and I hope you get them worked out, but most of us are happy.

Plain and simple.

edit:

Let me say this in a more polite manner. You are getting ready to "jump ship" over an update that YOU are having problems with. The problem WILL get worked out, you are coming up with a permanent solution to a temporary problem. That's the same thing they say about suicide. Wait it out a little longer, do some active research (I'm sure you already have been though) and keep trying different proposed solutions, the problem will get solved. Or you could just go get the Samsung Galaxy Tab, which a larger percentage of people are having problems with compared to the iPad.

I'll be sure to tell everyone over at apple discussions that this apple fanboy says the problems are all their fault and not apples i will link here so they can say hi if they want

Fanboy? Really? I own one Apple product, the iPad, which will soon be relegated to backup use after Q1 next year when I change to an Android tablet, the only reason I'll even keep the iPad is because of the Gray's Anatomy app which I need badly because it's easier than carrying around the books.

You are being too stubborn to fully read my posts because you are taking it too personally. Read again, I said I recognize that there are a small amount of issues with some people's setups, but the blame cannot be placed SOLELY on the upgrade. If that was the problem, everyone would be having the issue, not just a few thousand out of six million.

So to knock the fanboy stuff out of your mind now, I would do this for any product, and I'm not even really a fan of Apple products to begin with.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
<==== Putting moderator hat on:

I think some of the folks in this thread need to switch to decaf then read the rules --

3. Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. We take politeness very seriously. You are welcome to challenge others points of view and opinions, but do so respectively and thoughtfully.

Rev mike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More harmful than good? LOL

You realize the people complaining are in the VAST minority?

First of all, I don't use an iPad because I want to be part of the vast majority. I use it to do what I need it to do. So, My remarks pertain to my perspective on use, not the utility of the majority.

That being said, what I might have better said was that it sounds like there are some serious potential issues with the wifi, which were known before the release. Therefore I would expect a corrected minor update to fix that. Until THAT happens, it is more harm than good, to me.

My iPad works perfectly fine as is. I don't need whatever would be gained by multitasking that I have as yet run into. I can live without grouping my apps together, and I get excellent file management from ReaddleDocs.

So for me, nothing is really fixed by the update and it has more potential problems than good.

Thanks

Mike

Rev mike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am lost maybe because we live in Australia lol I have not had any complaints from ipad users in respect to wifi. Apart from home i use wifi at work on a large corporate network and also at macdonalds plus tested hot spots in Brisbane city and also at various friends homes.

When I first started reading about the wifi issues the first thing that I noticed is that I didn't see anyone who said what router they were using. certainly the wifi combo may be the issue. I think I also saw someone who found out that it was a router/setup issue.

Obviously the gods smile more on Australia, but we all know that :D

BBSean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm just glad the upgrade was free. I'd be looking for a refund had I actually paid something for it.

Nothing for nothing works for me.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More harmful than good? LOL

You realize the people complaining are in the VAST minority?

I don't think that is entirely true. Our own poll shows 70% want it back like it was:
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/13436-who-wants-their-screen-rotation-button-back.html

That being said, even though I kind of dissed it in my part of our video FAQ, I've kind of learned to enjoy it.
Well when a poll is worded that way I'm surprised anyone but those annoyed would even check it out. It's worded for a negative response--and that is what you will get.

DUTCH VanAtlanta

iPF Novice
Reaction score
After reading enough negative comments about the update, I've decided to take a pass on it. I also like the screen lock button just as it is in 3.2.2, which is another reason not to switch. The only real changes I would like to see are not available in the 4.2.1 update anyway.

If my buyer wants it when I sell it sometime in the first quarter of 2011, the decision to update will be his to make.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Seriously Apple, do you expect me to convert 4 TB of video to mp4 so that it can play with your devices? Get with the times and stop limiting yourself to boost sales of iTunes.
On the subject on pointless limitations, Apple will new to respond to the competition or watch the iPad whither:-

Access to the file system is needed, so that files can be managed, copied etc. Only Apple apologists could love iTunes and it doesn't do the job of file manager anyway.

Support for USB drives is a must.

The lack of an SD card slot is a glaring omission.

Flash support must be forthcoming. It's just not acceptable to be precluded from urls that use Flash

Text selection needs to be improved. Perhaps it' s just a matter of cursor keys etc.

No amount of cuteness can compensate for the lack of these features.

Most reactions

Latest posts