What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinions on 4.2.1

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More harmful than good? LOL

You realize the people complaining are in the VAST minority?

I don't think that is entirely true. Our own poll shows 70% want it back like it was:
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/13436-who-wants-their-screen-rotation-button-back.html

That being said, even though I kind of dissed it in my part of our video FAQ, I've kind of learned to enjoy it.

If the worst "harm" done by this upgrade was to move the screen lock to a menu, I think we are in pretty good shape.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have to say, I don't care what else it did, the multitasking feature is genius. Who needs folders? I haven't seen my home screen in a while :D

sharpey

iPF Noob
Reaction score

oh really, have you looked on the apple support discussions forum?... think you might find a thread 15 pages long of people fed up with the wifi performance!

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I (knock on wood) haven't experience the Wi-Fi problem like I did with 3.2 thankfully - that was FRUSTRATING!

Has anyone recommended a resolution for those who are affected yet?

sharpey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I (knock on wood) haven't experience the Wi-Fi problem like I did with 3.2 thankfully - that was FRUSTRATING!

Has anyone recommended a resolution for those who are affected yet?

Nothing yet im so close to getting a galaxy tab now its totally wound me up, wifi only pad that cant receive wifi and they knew it was a problem before the release, my first apple product after people said they are so good well it may well be my last

bastones

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is a nice upgrade....however there are a few things that still need looking at.

1.) Mute Switch does NOT work.....
2.) Streaming to a AppleTV 2 is slow as a turtle on a oiled floor. ( Video and Photos )

I've noticed the mute switch doesn't work either. I would rather have it as the orientation lock switch though, anyway.

The only other problem I had is I had to press the reset button on my router in order for WiFi to work again. It was connected but nothing loaded; web pages, app store, etc.

Apart from that it's a worthwhile upgrade...multitasking is really useful.

For those with battery drain complaints, do you have Find My iPad turned on? One Apple post suggests this may be the problem.

Hmm... Thinking about it the battery does drain much faster than the 10 hour battery life claim...I thought I needed to charge and fully drain but obviously it's a 4.2.1 issue. I only bought my iPad a few days ago and immediately upgraded to 4.2.1.

Last edited:

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I truly enjoy the 4.2.1 and the features. I would never buy windows or android based units as they are open source and open source means virus ...one infected app and your device is infected.
Apple is a closed source and monitors all their apps.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score

oh really, have you looked on the apple support discussions forum?... think you might find a thread 15 pages long of people fed up with the wifi performance!

Well, I'll say this, I know 7 people with an iPad, and none of them walked up to me and said "Hi! My Wi-Fi is working great since this 4.2 update!" I had to ask them if they were experiencing any problems, and none are.

People having problems are much more vocal than people who are happy. Of course there is a big thread on it, that doesn't mean a lot of people are having the problem.

With all the complaints and the press that Toyota got recently with it's "runaway cars" you would think it effected hundreds or even thousands of cars. In reality, when the dust settled, there are only 1 or 2 complaints that can't be fully explained. The rest were shown to be operator error or outright fraud.

Don't judge the quality of an item by the people who complain about it.

sharpey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ohh well then if you and your 7 chums dont have the problem then i guess the its just in the minds of the many thousands that are... silly us
ohh and for the record im not judging the quality of the product by the people complaining about it im judging by the hassle IM having with it.. apple messed up the update pure and simple

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nothing is ever 100% free of defect. There is no way they can account for all of the different internet router and security settings for every single person. So of course there are going to be bugs that need to be worked out.

You are in the minority, most of us are surfing the net on Wi-Fi without a problem. Apple didn't mess up the update, there are just a small amount of people having a problem that needs to be worked out.

You say THOUSANDS of people are having this problem, even assuming the max of the term "thousands" at 999,999 (which is a gross overestimate) of the 6 million or more iPads sold, that is still a small minority. It sucks that you are having problems and I hope you get them worked out, but most of us are happy.

Plain and simple.

edit:

Let me say this in a more polite manner. You are getting ready to "jump ship" over an update that YOU are having problems with. The problem WILL get worked out, you are coming up with a permanent solution to a temporary problem. That's the same thing they say about suicide. Wait it out a little longer, do some active research (I'm sure you already have been though) and keep trying different proposed solutions, the problem will get solved. Or you could just go get the Samsung Galaxy Tab, which a larger percentage of people are having problems with compared to the iPad.

Last edited:

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would never buy windows or android based units as they are open source and open source means virus ...one infected app and your device is infected.

I didn't know this. Good to know! We should only purchase apps from iTunes, then?

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would never buy windows or android based units as they are open source and open source means virus ...one infected app and your device is infected.

I didn't know this. Good to know! We should only purchase apps from iTunes, then?

While what he says is true, buying an Android Tablet does not instantly mean you will acquire viruses. Also, the iPad is not immune to getting viruses by any means. While it is more difficult, there are different ways to get a virus than just installing apps.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

While what he says is true, buying an Android Tablet does not instantly mean you will acquire viruses. Also, the iPad is not immune to getting viruses by any means. While it is more difficult, there are different ways to get a virus than just installing apps.

Interesting! I wonder when the first virus for the iPad will hit. If at all.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am lost maybe because we live in Australia lol I have not had any complaints from ipad users in respect to wifi. Apart from home i use wifi at work on a large corporate network and also at macdonalds plus tested hot spots in Brisbane city and also at various friends homes. It just works same as my iPhone 3GS We had similar issues with the iPhone and connection when the iPhone was released in Australia the so called antenna gate was a non event. Mabe we are missing some thing here it appears these complaints are more USA based. I have had no time to look at the apple forums but i will do tomorrow Monday as i have the day off I use a net gear 300 router and telstra cable ,every apple device works 100% with out a hiccup before and after the upgrades we have 2 iPads 2 iPhones and 2 iPod touches plus apple tv and playstation plus 2 laptops one is a MacBook the other a win 7 toshiba I also have had visitors from usa whom bought iPads with them they also experienced no problems one friend however said he had some issues with hot spots in cafes in sanfrancisco

So maybe we are lucky i don't know but that is why i am confused by the issue.

I should also point out i have many users of iPads in my Apple support customer data base non whom have complained

Most reactions

Latest posts