What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Operating conditions for iPad.

hetty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm wanting to buy my husband an iPad for him to use on an international trip. He will be visiting Nepal, trekking in the Annapurna region, including going over 3,000 meters for a few of days. The operating conditions state that the iPad shouldn't be used over 3,000m. If he has it in his pack, but doesn't use it at that altitude, will it damage the iPad, or would it be ok so long as he doesn't turn it on up there? Many thanks, Helen

OP
H

hetty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I realise that he won't get broadband or wifi up there! XD

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A difficult question. I suspect the problem relates to the hermetic seals employed in the iPad - in particular in the construction of the LCD screen and the various glass seals used to construct it. Also, the battery, which too is hermetically sealed. I would seek the advice of Apple; I'm sure if you explained the situation, they would advise you.

Tim

OP
H

hetty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim, I think you're right.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I realise that he won't get broadband or wifi up there! XD

Bizarrely, though, you can purchase an Iridium satellite phone modem that can act as a WiFi hotspot!! So, he could have satellite broadband if he really needed it!!

Tim

OP
H

hetty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again, Tim

What an amazing sounding option! Think he'll be able to survive a week without being connected but I will look up the iridium satellite phone out of curiosity. After Nepal, Dave goes on to the UK and Euope, so he'll have plenty of wifi access then. Our quandary is what to do to keep his iPad safe while he's at altitude?

Cheers, Hetty

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you do contact Apple, let us know what they say. Maybe they'll even offer sponsorship - after all, other than on aircraft, it could end up being the highest iPad in the World.

Tim

OP
H

hetty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim,

I finally got around to contacting Apple. They said it would be fine to carry the iPad above 10,000 feet or 3,000 meters but NOT to turn it on. She spoke as if it wasn't the first such query, I suspect that an iPad has been higher before!

Thanks for your interest,

Hetty

Most reactions

Latest posts