OpenNotifier - Notifications in the Status Bar

Discussion in 'Jailbreak Applications & Tweaks' started by Mickey330, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,812 / 0
    You know when you get those pop-ups that tell you that you've got new mail, a new text or an appointment/meeting reminder? You know how you quickly dismiss them because you are | | this close to getting that last pig in Angry Birds and you don't want the interruption(s)? And, finally, remember how you forgot about that notification, and you missed that important e-mail, text or appointment? Well, there's a tweak for that:

OpenNotifier (Free)
    [Cydia Description] OpenNotifier is a brand-new, fully-customizable StatusNotifier for iOS 4. Features: Ultra-customizable - you can assign any status bar icon to any app, install additional icons from Cydia almost like Winterboard themes, add badges to non-badging push apps (like Sportacular), silent mode icon, full retina/non-retina display support and includes handset, envelope, speech bubble, silent and exclamation point icons with many more available in Cydia.

With this tweak installed (and properly set up in Settings - by picking which icons represent which apps), you have reminders of notifications - right in the status bar. For any app that applies a badge to its icon when it sends a push notification, you can select an OpenNotifier icon to represent it. In addition, if an app doesn't apply a badge with its pushes, you can still add an icon based on the push only. I managed to get a screenshot of the majority of the notifications I use:

[​IMG]

The free tweak comes with some standard icons, plus there are some other free ones available for download on Cydia [go to Sections>Addons (OpenNotifier)]. The creator of the tweak has recently released a Premier Pack ($1.99 USD). Here's a picture of the icons you get with this package:

[​IMG]

The reminder icons even show on the lock screen and are removed from the status bar only after you've gone to the applicable app. No more forgetting who sent what when! For a person of my advancing years … and declining memory … this tweak is superb.

Marilyn
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  2. graywolf

graywolf iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    I was looking at your screenies and saw your carrier name is your username! Leigh did that and I copied him so did you copy him too?
    We are setting a trend! :D
  3. jbcheshire

jbcheshire iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So, how do you change your carrier name to something else??? I like that tweak...
  4. Mickey330

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,812 / 0
    I, personally, used MakeItMine - although some have said that doesn't work for them. There is also FakeCarrier. Both are free in Cydia.

It's a small thing, but making your iPad show that it's yours? Very satisfying! :)

Marilyn
  5. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +635 / 0
    This had totally passed me by Marilyn. Thanks so much for the recommendation. I love it now I've used it for a couple of days. Bought the extra icons too. Very cool.
  6. Coffeeboy

Coffeeboy iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    How on Gods green, do you make this work? I have set up the apps and logos, but I get no notifications at all... Tried both to respring and reboot. No difference...
  7. f4780y

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +635 / 0
    All I had to do was set the icons in the Settings screen, respring, and then wait for the notifications...
  8. Coffeeboy

Coffeeboy iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hmm... Could it be a 3G-only thing? Sounds far-fetched, but I have a WiFi-only and that's about the only difference... I even tried using Backgrounder to no avail...
  9. f4780y

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +635 / 0
    Pretty sure it would not be a "3G thing". And backgrounder? What are you doing with that? Does not sound like a good idea to me. Absolutely no need for it on iPad2 IMHO, and whilst I'm not up to date on whether it is still being developed / updated, it could be causing your problems...
  10. Coffeeboy

Coffeeboy iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Don't think so, since ON didn't work prior nor after I set Backgrounder...

Else, I use BG only to kill my BlueFire e-book reader (up until now that is), since it locked my device on shut down... Mickey330 suggested it and it solved my problem...

Hmmm, let's wait and see if others have isues with ON, shall we? Or, maybe, I've just missed some simple setting, eh? ;)
  11. Mickey330

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,812 / 0
    Well, I do use Backgrounder and Open Notifier on my iPad. Backgrounder is only set to put an exception on Bluefire Reader so it won't hang when you close the app (this is a known fault with Bluefire and JB'd devices).

However, I am using both these items on an iPad1 (don't get to play too much with the iPad2 ... it's my mom's).

All that said - it doesn't make any sense that Open Notifier isn't working. If I may ask the obvious question ... did you actually enable it in Settings? It's not enough to just pick the icons, it has to be enabled.

Other than that, I've got nothing. Sorry.

Marilyn
  12. f4780y

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +635 / 0
    OK. My bad on backgrounder. It's fine if you have it correctly setup for that example you gave. I'm stumped too.
  13. keyblade

keyblade iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I have the same issue -- I turn everything on, set the notifications, respring -- nothing happens. I don't have backgrounder installed.
  14. f4780y

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +635 / 0
    You guys are ticking icons to be shown in the settings app, and you do have notifications to show, don't you? Just checking!
  15. Coffeeboy

Coffeeboy iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Obviously incoming e-mails show up now, since I've received a few... As with the rest of them, I wouldn't know... At least not yet... Well, MyPad+ doesn't show icon at status bar, come to think about it...

Edit: I re-installed Friendly due to slight malfunction and now it works as supposed to again. Remains to be seen about the notifications...

Edit 2: Friendly refuses to show notifictions at statusbar. I have set it to notify me, but I get none whatsoever... Maybe I'm missing something? Haven't received any PMs on Twitter yet, so I can't tell about this yet...
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  16. Mickey330

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,812 / 0
    Hate to be the one that asks the dumb question, but - have you turned Friendly's notifications on in Settings? Not for OpenNotifier settings, but the regular iPad Settings.

That asked, I, too, sometimes don't get Facebook notifications (I use the iPhone version). TBH, I don't really understand how Facebook handles their notifications, 'cause on some days I'll get some, others I won't. Not that big a deal, but confusing nonetheless.

BTW, coffeeboy, when you edit your post, you aren't updating it to a new post in the forum's system. So, for those people who only go to unread posts (or active or new posts), your comments/questions don't kick in to show the thread is unread. I know it's considered bad form to keep adding to a posting, but if you've got a legitimate question, it's okay to add another separate post. Else, we unread post stalkers will never see it. Suits?

Marilyn
  17. Coffeeboy

Coffeeboy iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Yes, M, I'm aware of this seeing as I frequent other forums as well. Anyhows, I regarded this a somewhat dead issue, hence the edits. I figured I'd let it rest. At least 'til FB realeses their iPad app.

And, sure, should something pop up, I'll throw in a query or two. Or, as in this case, add a new comment.

Your comment suits! :)
  18. f4780y

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +635 / 0
    The Open Notifier Premium Pack has been updated today with 11 new icons... Yay!
  19. guthrien

guthrien iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    This is exactly what I was looking for, this looks like the HP Touchpad with better icons. I was using a notifier on my last jailbreak, it had a different sort of bubble that would fade out in the upper right of my screen, but it was buggy and too obtrusive, even if better than the default.
  20. Mickey330

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,812 / 0
    Now - Add Color!

The other day, I was helping someone with a status bar icon for the WiFi. As I was tinkering with that, I remembered thinking, "why don't I have colored Open Notifier icons? They're colored in the screenshots on Cydia, why not my iPad?"

I've wondered this before but never did anything about it. Now, I wanted color icons, gosh darn it! So, I went looking through iFile to find the images because I figured that once I knew what they were called, I could make my own, colored, images.

What I discovered is that Open Notifier installs with two sets of icon images. One has the white images that load on the iPad, the other has the color images (that I assume are for the iPhone/iPod). So, instead of making my own color images, I decided to save time and use the ones already on the iPad.

All the images are located here: /System/Library/Frameworks/UIKit.framework. The white icons all start with Black_ON_, while the color icons all start with Silver_ON_. The image name is the same, otherwise.

I made a theme folder on my PC and put the color images I wanted to use into it (the folder path is MyThemeName.theme/Bundles/com.apple.UIKit/[the PNG images]).

I then changed the name from Black_ON_[the icon name].png to Silver_ON_[the icon name].png for all the icons I was using.

I put the folder into the Themes folder of the iPad (full path: /var/stash/Themes…/MyThemeName.theme/Bundles/com.apple.UIKit/[the PNG images]), opened Winterboard, selected my theme, resprung the iPad and tada! Colored icons!

[​IMG]

I did a few cheats: I changed the color of the Words With Friends icon (it was a horrid, dull brown), found a birthday cake icon for my Occasions app and modified several icons so they'd display in an even row in the status bar (yes, I'm that obsessive about neatness!). Oh, and AFAIK, the iPad does not use the @2X icons [that you'll see in iFile]. And, if you're unsure what each icon is for, the name of the icon exactly matches the description of the icon in the Open Notifier section of your Settings app.

I'm now a happy camper. I have colored icons. Yay for me!

Marilyn

P.S. I have to add this caution. If you want to do this - I strongly advise against changing the images on the iPad itself. Make a theme for your tweak. That way, if something goes wrong, it goes wrong with an easily removed theme - not the iPad's core files. Makes life much simpler, IMNSHO…