What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

opening zip and rar files

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i get files that are emailed to me in .zip or .rar form but i don't see a way to extract and open them in my ipad2.

can anyone help? tried searching in the forums, but can't find any reference to my situation.

thanks!

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
88raymond said:
i get files that are emailed to me in .zip or .rar form but i don't see a way to extract and open them in my ipad2.

can anyone help? tried searching in the forums, but can't find any reference to my situation.

thanks!

Take a look at iUnarchive.

OP
88raymond

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks, will try that out... i also read somewhere that ifiles can also do the job :)

eagleone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I download some rar file from box.net to my ipad I dont have an option to open it with iunarchive it offers me just bookman?how to open it with unarchive?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The odds are that if you are not offered an "Open In..." option for a specific app - then that app can't open the file. So, try another?

I've never tried, but I understand the app GoodReader ($4.99, USD) can open .zip files. Unsure about .rar (can't find an definite answer on that type).

Good luck.

Marilyn

Mahmud57

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes Mickey, Good reader can unzip the *.rar file. I already did it earlier but recently it failed with some rar. May be some problem with the version when it was compressed.
But there is another solution. You can download iZip.com from App store free. Before using you have to restart your iPad.

Last edited:

eagleone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't know whats wrong I just rar-ed a simple word document and uploaded it to box,when I open it in box app again there is only open with bookman which doesn't work.

Then I've send the rar document to mail,but when I tryed to open it on ipad I get an option open with unarchiver but when pressed nothing happens,goodreader is not there at all

??so how to open a simple rar file?

Mahmud57

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can try it with download & installing iZip.com from App store free. After restarting the iPad the rar files will open with it.

eagleone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are 2 izip in appstore I've tried izip and same thing happens as before the other one that you are refering izip.com needs ios 5 and I still don't have it so can't try

Mahmud57

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, I have now iOS 5 and don't know about it with iOS version 4+

Mahmud57

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't install box.net. As iZip.com is the dedicated apps for viewing compressed files and folders so I am using it.

Last edited:

iUnarchive

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Box.net and iUnarchive

When I download some rar file from box.net to my ipad I dont have an option to open it with iunarchive it offers me just bookman?how to open it with unarchive?

You can add your Box.net account within iUnarchive (Lite or Full) and open the file right from within iUnarchive. This prevents any problems that could occur with the 'Open in...' options which sadly not always work the way they should (only Apple is able to fix that ;).

eagleone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Where in box do you add that account can't find it,and still no lock for opening rar from email

JoeyMcD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iUnarchive said:
You can add your Box.net account within iUnarchive (Lite or Full) and open the file right from within iUnarchive. This prevents any problems that could occur with the 'Open in...' options which sadly not always work the way they should (only Apple is able to fix that ;).

In the iUnarchive I get the option of buying "open in ... " Ijust would like to know in advance what my options will be ... IBooks? Kindle?

Thanks!

Most reactions