What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opening files/links on a website

tulipkapy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the forum and the iPad.
My problem, which I have contacted apple about but they couldn't help, is I have logged in to my university website to access course content, timetables etc and folder icons are listed to access these, I have tried single tap and double tap and neither opens the link/info. What a I doing wrong? So frustrated as bought iPad for the purpose of study and I cannot open simple links! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the forum and the iPad.
My problem, which I have contacted apple about but they couldn't help, is I have logged in to my university website to access course content, timetables etc and folder icons are listed to access these, I have tried single tap and double tap and neither opens the link/info. What a I doing wrong? So frustrated as bought iPad for the purpose of study and I cannot open simple links! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) I am a retired academic radiologist and logging into my university's site (which is Microsoft Exchange) requires extra steps (and is now set to 2-factor authentication). So, first tell us how you are logging in and whether your can connect by another means, such as a computer? Second, are you using a web browser for this login or some other means? Finally and most importantly, you need to contact your University's IT people to see what the requirements may be? Dave

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If it is a simple link, tapping on it should send you to the page linked. Tap-holding on it should show a small preview of the page and give you a menu of choices. Practice on a normal site, and see what happens. If the behavior is different on the university’s site, then they are doing something other than simple links. Ask them about it.

Tapping links to files should either open in a preview (if supported) or an icon with a download option. I’ve also seen it just ask you if you want to download. Note that seeing the preview is not a download. You’ll need to use the share sheet (box with up arrow icon) to actually save the file.

When Safari offers you the download option, the files will go to the Download folder in the Files app. You can also see the files in the download icon (circle with down arrow), which only appears after you’ve actually downloaded something.

If you can provide a screen shot, maybe there would be enough clues that I can guess. I’m figuring there is no way for me to visit the site and poke around myself.

Most reactions

Latest posts