What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opening emails to sites

Stuartjsm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have iPad 3 and have encountered a problem I can't solve.

Has anyone encountered a problem when reading emails and then trying to open them I.e. go to the site, shop now etc.

Not had this problem before but now cannot 'open' emails to get to the site in question. Any ideas ??

Grateful for any expert advice

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Usually, when I open emails, there may be a link in the e-mail that I can press to go to a certain site on the Web. But I have to press on the link to go to the site, I'm not automatically sent there once I open the e-mail. I've never come across it where you are directed to a site upon opening an e-mail.

Could you tell us a bit more? As in, what company or person is sending you an e-mail that makes you immediately go to a site when you open the mail?

Marilyn

OP
S

Stuartjsm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Marilyn

Sorry, maybe I didn't explain the problem properly. When I click on a link in the email to go to a site as in " click here to download" that's when nothing happens.

Hope this explains more.

Stuart

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Probably as well, Stuart. I never click on a link from an email. Fraught with security issues. Best to copy and paste the URL/address into your browser. At least that way you will know you are on the correct site. That said, I love Apple for the net security it offers. There again, how long before some enterprising hacker causes mayhem with Apple ios!:(

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Marilyn

Sorry, maybe I didn't explain the problem properly. When I click on a link in the email to go to a site as in " click here to download" that's when nothing happens.

Hope this explains more.

Stuart

Okay, I think I got it.

You are clicking on a link (in an e-mail) to be re-directed to Safari so you can download something. But, when you click on the link, you are directed to Safari, but the web site does not load. Do I have that right?

Here's what has happened to me. I have an e-mail that contains a link for me to download an .exe file (so I can download some program). When I click on the link, I get nothing - as you described.

But, if I go back to the e-mail and press the link again, this time, I get taken to the web site to get the download.

Is that what you experience?

I think that the web site doesn't load the first time because it's not getting the correct info from the iPad's Safari browser. See, you can't download anything via Safari as you can on a computer, so it doesn't know what to do. So, it may just be a glitch.

The main thing is - you can't download anything via Safari. The only programs or songs you can put on the iPad over the Internet is via the AppStore.

Now, when I press on a regular link (one that just goes to a site; not a downloadable file), then it works fine.

All this to say - I don't think there's a problem because the iPad can't download from the 'Net anyway.

Hope that helps (and that I understand what you are trying to do). If it didn't, please, holler back and set me straight. :)

Marilyn

Most reactions