What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opening a file with another application

haxan7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I noticed that whenever i open a file with another application, it copies the file to its directory. For example if i have a pdf in adobe reader and i open it in ibooks, ipad creates a second copy in ibooks directory before opening. So i now have 2 copies of same file at different locations and this is such a waste of space.
It really bothers me since i own 16 gb ipad.
I have jailbroken ipad.
Is there a way i can stop it from a copy.

And also i am deciding to buy camera connecting kit and use ifiles to view the stuff on memory card (to extend my ipads memory).
But if it still makes a copy of whatever is in the memory card, then its not going to do me any good.

doc.zed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I use Ifile and am moving files around movies for example, I use cut and paste which deletes from where it came from.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
This is just a limitation of how iOS works.

iOS apps have their own private data location. They do not have direct access to other apps saved data. Apple has implemented this new "Open In" API for developers to use. What it does is copy a file from the app that's running into the data location of the app that the user chooses and then opens the file inside that app. You then have the original copy and the new copy in the app you chose to open it with.

In order for the app to be able to simply open a document from another app for editing. The app would have to have read/write access to files in other apps private data location. This would be a bad thing because you would not just get convenience of opening/editing files, it would also allow for apps to steal data. Just think about it, you download a stupid Tic-Tac-Toe game, and it steals all the info from your banking app.

This is just one of the consequences for having a highly secure device. There are things that could be implimented to somewhat solve this issue but apple has not gotten their yet.

Most reactions

Latest posts