What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Openbackup

rhardin

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can some please tell me how to use open backup? I downloaded it but I'm lost... Thanks

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not too complex.

Press the "backup" button to backup your Cydia apps, tweaks, and settings.

After this is completed, you MUST backup your iPad normally (using either iTunes or iCloud) to ensure your OpenBackup is saved away.

Then, if you ever need to restore your Cydia apps and tweaks, first fully restore your iPad backup, jailbreak, install OpenBackup, and press the "restore" button.

That's about all there is to it.

SikYou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I first used it i could not get my restore to work after upgrading to 6.1.2. After a few failed attempts I looked through the error log in the app and it saiid I was missing a repo (I think it was ModMyi). I'm not sure why this repo matters but I added the repo and everything restored just fine.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's probably a good call SikYou...

IF you have added any additional repo's to Cydia, make sure you add these back into Cydia whenever you restore the device, and update the package list, BEFORE trying to restore your OpenBackup backup ;)

OP
rhardin

rhardin

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I guess the thing I'm confused about as who it works if I update my iOS and re do my jailbreak. Is it saved on my cloud, my ipad or am I think the totally wrong thing here...

SikYou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess the thing I'm confused about as who it works if I update my iOS and re do my jailbreak. Is it saved on my cloud, my ipad or am I think the totally wrong thing here...

It's saved in your file system and backed up to you computer when you do a backup through iTunes. When you restore, the backup files are restored to your device, then you download Openbackup from Cydian and choose restore.

nickb67

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used open backup during my latest restore, and most of my cydia installs were not reinstalled after restore, so I had to manually redownload them and start from scratch! I wasnt impressed with open backup! (maybe I did something wrong, but I followed the instructions?)

Most reactions

Latest posts