What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Open ssh?

HUNTER1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have open ssh on my iPhone and changed the password. If I install open ssh on my iPad, do I need to go to mobile terminal and retype the new password on my iPad? Thanks

jsherk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the answer to your question, is YES, you will want to change the root password on your iPad to something other than alpine.

If you have cydia on your iPad, start it up, and right on the main page there are some user guides. There is one called "OpenSSH Access How-To" and "Root Password How-To" ... they have lots of good info in them!

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsherk said:
I think the answer to your question, is YES, you will want to change the root password on your iPad to something other than alpine.

If you have cydia on your iPad, start it up, and right on the main page there are some user guides. There is one called "OpenSSH Access How-To" and "Root Password How-To" ... they have lots of good info in them!

Great answer, BUT, mobile terminal does not work for iPad.

jsherk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use PuTTY from my PC and it worked great for changing password:
PuTTY Download Page

I also use WinSCP for FTP but it also has the ability to run some command line commands, so it might work for changing password but not sure. It works great for file transfers though:
WinSCP :: Download

OP
H

HUNTER1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok, I changed my password on my iPhone with mobile terminal. I guess I will not install until mobile terminal is updated for iPad, no rush.

slimshotty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great answer, BUT, mobile terminal does not work for iPad.

Wrong. MobileTerminal does work for the iPad iOS 4.3.2.

Also, it is also best practice to not only change the 'root' passwd but to also change the 'mobile' user password as well.

jsherk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I changed root user but not mobile user.

What is Mobile user used for, and what is default password?

Will changing either password cause problems with installing apps?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The mobile user, which is the default user on the device, has access to all your data. It is basically "you". It also has the same default password of alpine. Change it to anything you like. You should not run into any problems installing, etc. if you make this change. It is just good security practice.

jsherk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Doing cat /etc/passwd lists the following users as well... any of these others need to be changed?
root:*:0:0:System Administrator:/var/root:/bin/sh
mobile:*:501:501:Mobile User:/var/mobile:/bin/sh
nobody:*:-2:-2:Unprivileged User:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
daemon:*:1:1:System Services:/var/root:/usr/bin/false
_wireless:*:25:25:Wireless Services:/var/wireless:/usr/bin/false
_securityd:*:64:64:securityd:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
_mdnsresponder:*:65:65:mDNSResponder:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
_sshd:*:75:75:sshd Privilege separation:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
_unknown:*:99:99:Unknown User:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
slimshotty said:
Wrong. MobileTerminal does work for the iPad iOS 4.3.2.

Also, it is also best practice to not only change the 'root' passwd but to also change the 'mobile' user password as well.

On Cydia, in the description, and I quote "Please note that MobileTerminal isn't quite done being ported to 2.x.". I downloaded it on 4.2.1 and it would open and crash. So, based on the description it hasn't been updated in a LONG time. I don't know what mobile terminal you are talking about.

Milsurp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So if mobile terminal does not work, how do you change the password? Is the "Putty" program the way to go?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Milsurp said:
So if mobile terminal does not work, how do you change the password? Is the "Putty" program the way to go?

Yes. Easiest way I know of. I don't know what in the world slimshotty is taking about.

jsherk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use PuTTY from my PC to connect/maintain our servers at work, and it works just as well with iPad as a command line or terminal program and it's what I used to change passwords with.

Milsurp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just used it to change my password. It worked great. Thanks for your help.

Most reactions

Latest posts