What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Open in feature

bookworm6767

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not getting certain apps as options under "Open In". I've read that it only shows 10 apps in the "open in' feature, but I only get 5. I also read that if I uninstall some apps that appear in 'open in' that others will show up, but this hasn't worked for me either. Does anyone know what I can do to get the apps I want to appear to appear in 'open in'??

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Aside from the obvious that an app will only show in "Open in..." when it's installed on the iPad, a couple of other things may be blocking it.

1) Whatever you are trying to open can only be opened by those 5 apps (or so) that you have appearing

2) Only the same lines, app developers create the ability for their app to show in the "Open in..." feature. If it doesn't show up, yet can open that type of file, that may be the reason there.

Can you give us a specific app that you have loaded on the iPad that an "Open in..." will not work?

Marilyn

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can say that GoodReader does not open in my iPad 2's "Open in" dropbox list. If I hold down a pdf url, several other programs are listed. I have written GoodReader twice and received no reply. :( According to their documentation, GoodReader does support Document Interchange so I suspect that their may be a very simple answer, but wasn't reminded of it all until I saw this post from the OP.

Last edited:

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine shows up if it's a PDF, not sure what you mean by URL, maybe its not supported?

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
See?

Attachments

• image-3221384285.png
    image-3221384285.png
    162.6 KB · Views: 383

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
addiosamigo said:
Mine shows up if it's a PDF, not sure what you mean by URL, maybe its not supported?

Thanks. If I do a Google search for a PDF and touch and hold on it (in other words a PDF file which is a google hit with it's address), what I get is a list of other programs that can open PDFs (looking a lot like what you put up there, but no GoodReader). It may be that I need to delete some apps in order to allow it to appear as I believe was implied in the OP. I haven't tried that yet but, I'm hoping there is a "cleaner" solution. An easy workaround is to use the built-in GoodReader browser but, it sometimes implies an extra couple of steps.

P.S.
Unlike the OP, there *are* exactly 10 programs listed in my "Open in..." popup (no GoodReader).

P.S.S.
I think you are right, pressing on the Google hit does not give me the "Open in..." popup, I need to touch the PDF itself.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
bookworm6767 said:
I'm not getting certain apps as options under "Open In". I've read that it only shows 10 apps in the "open in' feature, but I only get 5. I also read that if I uninstall some apps that appear in 'open in' that others will show up, but this hasn't worked for me either. Does anyone know what I can do to get the apps I want to appear to appear in 'open in'??

Did you know the open in list is scrollable (in some apps)? Try swiping up to see if there are more apps available.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Alright, thanks to the OP, I finally got this by erasing one app at a time until I got the one I wanted in the list. I'm sorry to hear that this didn't work in his case.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Did you know the open in list is scrollable (in some apps)? Try swiping up to see if there are more apps available.

That might be it although, I count only four apps visible in the pop-up list without scrolling, so I assume he must be scrolling if he can see five. It may be the obvious: the app may not be supported as, since you are most likely aware, only apps which support "Inter-app Document Interchange" will appear on that list. He may only have five programs total that support it.

P.S.
Oh, I almost forgot... Welcome bookworm! :)

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, I considered that, but Marilyn already covered it, so I just contributed the only other thing I could think of, however unlikely it might be.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Yes, I considered that, but Marilyn already covered it, so I just contributed the only other thing I could think of, however unlikely it might be.

Best to cover all corners in this business. :)

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I read somewhere that Open In shows only 8 apps. If you want your favorite app to appear there you probably need to delete few apps first.

OP
B

bookworm6767

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Open in

I can always open in Goodreader. I'm trying to open in PDF Notes free and UPAD- both claim to support the "open in" feature for PDF's. Considering purchasing these for student iPads at school and want to make sure they do what they say they will do first.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
bookworm6767 said:
I can always open in Goodreader. I'm trying to open in PDF Notes free and UPAD- both claim to support the "open in" feature for PDF's. Considering purchasing these for student iPads at school and want to make sure they do what they say they will do first.

I can confirm that UPAD works fine with "Open in... ." I haven't used PDF Notes though it looks interesting.

Most reactions

Latest posts