What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Onscreen keyboard disappears

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Curious if others have experienced this I did a search but found nothing on this. I did Google the issue and found similar going back to IOS 6 and more with Iphone. I bought the Ipad Pro 12.7" in April I think and have had no problems until last two days. I have had an Ipad 1, 3, Air, several Iphones and never had this issue with any with any IOS version.

The most common offered resolution was to make sure an external BT keyboard was disconnected but my Apple keyboard and all other BT devices are not connected. I have now turned off BT for the time being. The other resolution was to do a reboot--which is what i did the several times this occurred--my usual fix for issues.

To explain what happens--in mail or perhaps safari I touch an area to enter text--and nothing happens, no keyboard appears. I honestly don't remember if nothing appears but the last time I noticed the top line, the predictive one with the cut/paste, etc showed at the bottom with a ^ appearing at side, no V. Swiping up on this brought no keyboard, so I did a reboot yet again.

I'm going to keep track of what app, circumstances for each instance to see if I can track it down. Odd that it just appeared.

Diane Fields

OP
D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Won't go into it but having issues with all Apple devices; Watch, Ipad 3 (use for streaming), Iphone 6sPlus and Ipad Pro 12.7". The biggest issue is that they freeze--there is some common denominator but I haven't figured it out yet--one may be notifications and alerts. The keyboard responds to turning off BT but I need it on to use Pencil LOL, so have tried turning off and then on, Pencil needs reconnected by sticking in port for a few seconds. All have been rebooted several times--and hopefully eventually I'll find the culprit. Its a new issue so that gives me some ideas,

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you make any changes to your devices 2 days ago just before the problems started? With the problems occurring across multiple devices, it's unlikely to be any sort of a hardware problem.

OP
D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, I agree. Don't think its any device issue but maybe continuity or notification sync involved. BT seems somewhat involved since my screen keyboard in Ipad Pro will come back up after turning BT off even though none of my BT devices are connected. The freezes on the devices are odd--this morning I was streaming our local NPR station from their usually quite stable app to Apple TV (sound bar) and when I tried to end the stream, it was frozen though it continued to play--but I could do nothing else (Ipad 3 which I use to stream). Had to reboot. Its a puzzle so I need to think about any changes--none I can think of though there have been updates for apps for all of them.

I need to also add I love continuity and syncing across all my devices--one of the reasons I left the many years of MS world and am totally Apple now.

Most reactions

Latest posts