What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Only just discovering the ipad screen icons

I

islandman

Last edited by a moderator:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tapping the plus sign takes you to a screen that shows your favourite sites. Here's what it looks like on my iPad.
image.png

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tap the two pages icon at the top right. You'll find all open pages. Slide the ones you don't need to the left.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

OP
I

islandman

Tap the two pages icon at the top right. You'll find all open pages. Slide the ones you don't need to the left.
View attachment 67714
View attachment 67715

Ah, now that appears to have sorted it. I purposely left the blank pages there and your "to the left"removed them, so maybe now, life on the ipad will be simpler. It has to be said that some pages such as Sky news and BBC news, dont show this double page icon to save, is there a way round that please?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Also, tapping the status bar (the time) once will make the tool bar reappear. Tapping it twice will take you to the top of the current web page.

This is becoming a common element in many apps.

OP
I

islandman

Thank you both, sorted now. I have to say that this way of opening pages is swifter and simpler. They may not be in the order of choice, being a bit of a routine freak, but think I can live with that.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you bookmark your favorite sites in the Favorites folder, then they will show up on those blank pages with that the + icon invokes. They can be re-ordered by using the bookmark icon, navigating to the Favorites folder, and tapping Edit at the bottom of the list.

The red circle lets you delete an unwanted bookmark. The lines icon at the right lets your drag them into whatever order you like.

As you see from my example here, it's actually possible to create folders here, for extra organization.

The Favorites that show up when you create a new page can be set to any folder under Settings > Safari > Favorites; but it's usually best to leave it set to the actual Favorites folder, to avoid confusion.

If you turn on Show Favorites Bar in Settings > Safari, you'll also get the list of favorite links just below the tool bar (as in my screenshot). If you have folders, as I do, then those links become menus. You tap on them to see a list of links.

The Favorites Bar is always the Favorites folder, regardless of what you set in Settings > Safari > Favorites. This can be handy if you wanted two sets of favorites, on in the Favorites Bar for the most common stuff, and one that shows up when you create a new tab.

Safari's bookmarks are surprisingly flexible, but of course that also makes them a bit harder to get used to.

The Favorites Bar is my usual method for keeping favorite sites bookmarked. It's organized and fast.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443040085.796195.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts