What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Online Flash Videos and Youtube?

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I understand that the ipad 2 does not support flash videos. But doesn't Youtube use flash videos? Does this mean that Youtube does not work on the ipad 2?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I understand that the ipad 2 does not support flash videos. But doesn't Youtube use flash videos? Does this mean that Youtube does not work on the ipad 2?

I can see YouTube just fine.....never come across one that I couldn't watch, so far...

Tim

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score

sheeeeesh....another thread about this?

You do know that iOS devices come pre-installed with a native YouTube app also?

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OUTL4W said:

However it doesn't feature all the videos the full monty Youtube does. Nor does it have a full search option using URL. It calls to mind monty python cheese shop, and one more reason not to rely on Safari.

OP
G

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Sorry, I'm new here. And no, I didn't know that. I don't have an ipad yet.

Anyway, my point is that if it can play flash videos on youtube, then I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be able to play flash videos on other websites.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GAMESHARQ said:
Sorry, I'm new here. And no, I didn't know that. I don't have an ipad yet.

Anyway, my point is that if it can play flash videos on youtube, then I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be able to play flash videos on other websites.

The YouTube website the iPad uses is HTML-5, not flash. The iPad is fully HTML-5 compatible.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
No worries.:) Flash is a sensitive topic around here ~ do some research and you can understand why.

Oh gosh. I lost count of how many threads we have had about flash.

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As long as new users keep buying iPads, flash questions are never going away.

I don't think a lot of newby users even understand what flash is. All they know is, videos played just fine on the PC they used for years and now on their expensive new iPad a good amount of web content is not available.

I agree that flash is a horrible program and I am glad it is being phased out. At the present time however, there are still plenty of sites that still use it and it is quite annoying that it doesn't work in the iPad.

I have tried all the 3rd party browsers that are supposed to play flash and not one of them does it reliably. I have a couple favorite sites that you absolutely HAVE to have flash for, I use SplashTop running from a PC on my LAN for those sites.

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jmorton10 said:

I don't think a lot of newby users even understand what flash is. All they know is, videos played just fine on the PC they used for years and now on their expensive new iPad a good amount of web content is not available.

I agree that flash is a horrible program and I am glad it is being phased out. At the present time however, there are still plenty of sites that still use it and it is quite annoying that it doesn't work in the iPad.

I have tried all the 3rd party browsers that are supposed to play flash and not one of them does it reliably. I have a couple favorite sites that you absolutely HAVE to have flash for, I use SplashTop running from a PC on my LAN for those sites.

As long as they don't clearly advertise the fact that iPads don't like flash, new users will keep buying iPads. ;)

Does Splashtop run in the background? It has to I suppose otherwise you might as well watch it on the PC. I'll look into that. Thanks.

Reaction score
jmorton10 said:

As long as they don't clearly advertise the fact that iPads don't like flash, new users will keep buying iPads.

The new Blackberry Playbook commercial takes care of stating Ipad and Xoom not playing Flash, though I think it's meant more to Apple than Android.
Flash will eventually go away, like leaded gasoline, but until then we have Puffin and iswifter to muddle along with.
Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Inc

Last edited:

Most reactions