What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One way photo trip

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In photos for iOS 8: start out selecting the photos tab, you can then go to Collections and from there to Years. But there appears no way to go back. Since there is no camera roll anymore you have to close and open photo app to get back to a different view of all your photos! A bit of an oversight or am I missing something.

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I do that I get a map. It shows 3 photos at location X 34 at location Y. Well correct that; it depends where I touch as to whether I get the map or return a level. Need to touch an open area to return but touch the photos and title to get the map which is what I'd done! Thanks, a bit confusing!​

Nope touch the title with the arrow for the map.. I Need to play more now, ask fewer questions until I explore more!!

Wow and I see it is just like iOS 7 that way. I always just used camera roll. What a dummy am I. :)

Last edited:

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Don't you love mystery-meat navigation? I just don't see the downside to offering plainly-marked nav buttons. Apple literally wrote the book on human interface guidelines...and then proceeded to burn it.

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well more confusion. Photo stream is on but there is no photo stream folder. So how to deal specific photos from photo stream? Wait for iCloud update?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Images you added after the update, can be found in Recently Added as well as the Photos tab, and Recently Added should show the same pictures on every iDevice connected through iCloud, except for the ones added before iOS 8.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well more confusion. Photo stream is on but there is no photo stream folder. So how to deal specific photos from photo stream? Wait for iCloud update?

Photo Stream is all in the background now. The pictures will just show up along side your local pictures. I'm not certain, but I don't believe they automatically delete themselves any more. The only difference I've been able to detect is that when you try to edit a Photo Stream synced photo it will force you to make a duplicate and edit that instead.

I expect Apple to refine the Photos experience over the next several months. They are making some major changes on the back end before rolling out a completely new app sometime this Spring (according to the WWDC keynote)

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My concern about photo stream:
I had thought the photo stream image was only a pointer to the one in camera roll but if you email the two versions of the image the size displayed indicates the stream version is a reduced pixel version of the camera roll version and deleting photo stream versions does in fact free up memory.

So now who knows how much memory photo stream is using? I guess from Apple's point of view that is good. "Sam, just buy the 128 G version for $XXX more and don't worry"

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Photo Stream was not a pointer, as you discovered. The photos are synced and stored on the local device. The new method seems more efficient, as it does not duplicate the images taken on the device, but leaves them alone and only syncs images from other devices.

It's hard to say if Photo Stream reduced a particular photo using the method you suggested. It does reduce images if they are really big; usually panoramic or imported photos. Photos taken on your device are not usually reduced. At least not in my experience.

You have to keep an eye on Mail when sending photos. It can automatically reduce a photos size.

Eventually what Apple wants to do is keep only your most recent photos on the device at full size, with the older ones only loading at full size when you need them. I'm already seeing this in my Shared iCloud Photos albums. For some people and purposes this is going to be great. For those that want full sized non internet dependent albums, well, they are probably going to use third party photo managers; just like they do now when the Photos app isn't what they want.

The increased iCloud storage space dependence is probably whey the've reduced the price of extra storage, across the board. The extra 20GB plan I used to pay $40 for is now only 99 cents a month. You can get 200 GB for $3.99/mo. Not the best cloud storage options on the market, but not bad either.

But, really, we don't know what is going to happen with iCloud and Photos. At least not the details. Apple has said they are changing things, and there have been some leaks from the beta Yosemite users, but the full picture (pun intended) is not in place.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My concern about photo stream:
I had thought the photo stream image was only a pointer to the one in camera roll but if you email the two versions of the image the size displayed indicates the stream version is a reduced pixel version of the camera roll version and deleting photo stream versions does in fact free up memory.

So now who knows how much memory photo stream is using? I guess from Apple's point of view that is good. "Sam, just buy the 128 G version for $XXX more and don't worry"
When you look at your storage space in General - Usage, you'll see that only Photo Library needs space, not PhotoStream:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411329872.157902.jpg

The amount displayed in Photo Library is the only one that counts in storage.

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Johanna, just checked mine and find Photo library= 151Mb, My Photo stream= 129 Mb, Shared Photon Stream= 6.3 Kb. So they would appear to both take up memory. I have Not activated icloud drive yet. I know in ios7 I deleted a bunch of photo stream images and available space did increase.

I guess this will continue to evolve until Yosemite arrives. Awkward release IMHO.

I know I can't wait to trade up to 32G or bigger!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How much is your usage for Photos & Camera? That's visible above those three.

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Johanna, 280Mb. Which is the sum of the parts too!

Interestingly, iCloud storage shows photo,library backups as 144Mb.

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, had a very dumb moment! :oops:

Mine shows a different number there as well.

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm at the point where I really, really despise the way photos are handled on the iPad.

Is there an "iPad Photo Management for Dummies" book out there somewhere?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts