One desperate question

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Nerak50, May 27, 2012.

1. Nerak50

Nerak50 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm leaving in a week for France. Can I use my IPad 2 there to read already downloaded books and play already downloaded games...not with anyone or on the Internet...without being charged any fees? Thank you so much! It makes me nervous!
  2. fleur07

fleur07 iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +93 / 0
    Bonjour!

Im going say yes, as long as you aren't using the Internet then you should be fine. I read my books everywhere there isn't wifi and have never been charged a fee.

Enjoy France!

Welcome to our forum! We hope you enjoy your time with us. If you have any questions, the Search feature will be your best friend. If that doesn't work, just wait someone will be around with the answers you seek. With over 200,000 members I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

While you're *looking around *here are a few links you may find useful.

We have an iPad manual available for download incase you ever need it.
    Apple - Support - Manuals

Did you know we have our own App - Its pretty easy to use.
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8

We also have a gaming section. There is bound to be something there you like.
    iPad Games
    iPad Game Specific

Last but not least. Everyone has to play by the rules here. Please read them and keep them in mind when you post. http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Again Welcome and We hope you Enjoy Your Time Here!

Fleur
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Nerak50

Nerak50 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Merci! I'm very excited but don't want unexpected fees to ruin my trip! Thanks again!
  4. fleur07

fleur07 iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +93 / 0
    Ahhh I love France! Enjoy your trip! Bon Soir!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Nerak50

Nerak50 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you! Itsmy second visit there! Do I also turn Cellular Data off?
  6. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +865 / 0
    If you have 3G, disable it in settings/general/network/data roaming/off, and stick to wifi.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Nerak50

Nerak50 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you!!
  8. ExCalif

ExCalif iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I wrote a long post but somehow blew it up... Anyway here is a short version. I travel internationally about 180 days a year. Here are some tips...

- definitely turn off cell data. If an app tries to access something and you need to get it, like mail, turn it on, turn on data roaning but be super careful and turn off 3g immediately when you are done
    - anything you load on the ipad (sync or download) before you leave home is already on your ipad and you dont even need to have wifi on. I load up tv, movies and books and music. If the flight, bus ride or train ride has crap or no entertainmet I watch my own
    - many places in France will have wifi, although not as prevalent as US and sometimes not free. Even hotels sometimes are still charging for internet access
    - i bought a small cigarette pack sized router and carry with me. If the hotel room only has hardwire ai plug my router in to that and create my own hotspot where my phone, ipad and pc are happy. Make sure you get a multi volt one (ask me how I know...)
    - i bought a component video cable, many modern hotel tvs will take this input and i can watch what i want, and in my native language...
    - if you subscribe to tv shows you can access them anywhere in the world you can get on wifi and download the latest episodes

- if you have 3g (gps) and your roaming budget can handle it the maps tool is awesome. I have gotten into a cab at the airport in India, searched for "Marriott hotel" and it gives turn by turn suggested route. It also takes addresses of course and rather than communicate with a taxi driver in say Thai, I show him the map and the suggested route. Because all map data loads dynamically you can run up 50mb of map data in one trip so be careful, especially when roaming. There are, I think gps apps that wil store map data eliminating the need for 3g but haven't found a good one

Have a great trip!