On this day in history.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KevinJS, Aug 3, 2012.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Battle of Trafalgar on this day in 1805!

On October 21, 1805, Horatio Nelson led the British fleet off the southern coast of Spain against the combined navies of France and Spain, and achieved a lopsided sea victory destroying over half of the Franco-Spanish force (more below). Nelson was killed, 47 years of age - honors to him include Trafalgar Square in London (have made a couple of visits) w/ his TALL column. For those interested in a bioptic of his 'love affair' w/ Lady Hamilton, the 1941 movie 'That Hamilton Woman' is recommended - I own the Criterion edition which is an excellent restoration. Dave

Nelson1.jpg Nelson2.png Nelson3.png Nelson4.jpg Nelson5.jpg Nelson6.JPG Nelson7.jpg Nelson8.jpg

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Here are a couple of photos I took in Trafalgar Square during my visit in 2014.
    The church is St. Martin in the Fields.
    110DE786-50EB-47B0-ABF0-53266122D06A.jpeg 872CE51A-01DA-4B4F-88CC-95BFBA586B0F.jpeg

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Hi Scifan.. - thanks for the additional pics, including the church, famous for a number of reasons, including the chamber orchestra known as the Academy of St Martin in the Fields (and also the Academy of St Martin in the Fields Chamber Ensemble) - more info in the quotes below along w/ a link - I own a bunch of their recordings; the twofers on the Decca label are great bargains. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 3.58.19 PM.png mdg-sosm-launch-5772-1234x605.jpg

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Wilmington Insurrection of 1898 - Hidden Past in Need of More Revelation

P.S - repeat of a post that I left in my Carolina Beach travelogue recently - the massacre of dozens of Afro-American Wilmingtonians and the coup to replace the biracial city government by 'white supremacists' occurred today. Dave (some of my own pics in the brief next post)

The Wilmington Race Riot of November 10, 1898 following mid-term elections of that year was the most serious event of racial violence in North Carolina's history (much more quoted below). An event that I had only a foggy recollection until earlier this month when I read the book Cape Fear Rising (1994) by Philip Gerard, a northern transplant (like me) and a Professor at the University of North Carolina Wilmington - an accurate historic novel w/ several 'fictional' characters added - the read was a shocking 'eye-opener' for me, leading to my PDF download of the 1898 Race Riot Commission Report in 2006 which I'm now reading. Gerard has an excellent 20-min C-Span discussion of the event HERE for those interested.

The pics are all from the web w/ my text insertions and make much more sense if the information below is read and the C-Span video reviewed. In the 1890s, Wilmington was the largest city and port in North Carolina - the aftermath of this illegal cout d'etat by the white leadership of the city was a major factor in the emergence of white supremacy, Jim Crow acts, and suppression of Afro-Americans first in North Carolina and then throughout the south - not until the Civil Rights events of the 1960s - enjoy this sad but fascinating story - Wilmington has erected a monument - I'd like to see a major permanent exhibition in the Cape Fear Museum. Dave :)

5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    The '1898 Monument & Memorial Park', Wilmington, North Carolina

On November 8, 2008 (110 years after the election day of 1898), the 1898 Monument and Memorial Park in Wilmington was dedicated. On our recent trip to Wrightsville Beach, we were downtown for a boat ride and also visited the Memorial Park - just a few of my own pics below. Dave :)

P.S. Susan in one image for perspective on the size of the 'paddles', explained in the plaque below.

WVB_10_19_C7.JPG WVB_10_19_C8.JPG WVB_10_19_C9.JPG

6. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Today marks the 40th anniversary of the deadliest volcanic eruption in U.S. history. On May 18th, 1980 Mount St. Helens erupted, killing 57 people and devastating thousands of square miles of land. Volcanic ash from the eruption travelled around the world.
    On that day I was in Maple Bay British Columbia about 250 miles away from Mount St. Helens and clearly heard the initial explosion.
    07CF6463-A385-4220-9A23-EEF51E2C6276.jpeg 6B81CB2C-CE45-42D2-9CDE-BD59ABF047B8.jpeg
    Remembering The 40th Anniversary Of The Mount St. Helens Eruption

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/mount-st-helens-erupts-2

https://www.history.com/topics/natu...helens?li_source=LI&li_medium=m2m-rcw-history

#2546 scifan57, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020