On this day in history.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KevinJS, Aug 3, 2012.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Salk Announces Polio Vaccine in 1953

Poliomyelitis has affected mankind for thousands of years with pictorial evidence in Egyptian artworks and likely a long pre-history - the viral infection causes muscle wasting and paralysis, which is often permanent - if the respiratory muscles are affected, then patients in the mid-1900 years were placed in 'iron lungs', temporarily or longer! Salk's development of a polio vaccine was a miraculous blessing, especially to the many children who could have been crippled or even have died. More in the quotes below and also some interesting summary facts HERE.

For myself (and 2 brothers), I was nearly 7 y/o when the announcement was made - we all received the injection - the Sabin oral vaccine developed later was a little easier for kids to swallow - ;)

Some recommended films for those interested: 1) Warm Springs (2005) - HBO drama-documentary about FDR's struggle w/ his paralysis and the impact of Warm Springs - highly recommended; and 2) The Five Pennies - 1959 bioptic about Red Nichols, the jazz cornetist and his group the Five Pennies - his daughter develops polio and a dramatic presentation of her struggles to walk again (w/ braces) - BUT, Louis Armstrong has a prominent guest role in this film for us jazz fans! Dave :)

Salk1.jpg Salk2.jpg Salk3.jpg Salk4.jpg Salk5.jpg Salk6.jpg Salk7.jpg Salk8.jpg

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    The United States Officially Enters World War I Today in 1917

One of the deadliest conflicts in human history - "The total number of military and civilian casualties in World War I were about 40 million: estimates range from 15 to 19 million deaths and about 23 million wounded military personnel (Source)". However, the Influenza Pandemic starting in 1918 killed at least 2-3X that number of people worldwide (first quote below).

Remaining quotes about the US entry into WW I - the number of deaths and casualties suffered by the United States in the war was only several percent compared to the other Allies but many more died of the flu. For those who have yet to see They Shall Not Grow Old, Peter Jackson's recently restored and colorized WW I video footage documentary, then deserves to be on your 'To-Do' list (we saw the film in the theater back in December). Also, yet another new WW I book, The Great War in America (2018) by Garrett Peck is recommended - just started to read my copy. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2019-04-06 at 1.33.40 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-04-06 at 1.32.16 PM.png

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    American Revolution Begins on April 19, 1775 at Lexington & Concord!

Below the dotted line, a post I left a few years ago in this thread - also a nice discussion at the History Website for those interested. Just by coincidence, I'm finishing the book In the Hurricane's Eye: The Genius of George Washington and the Victory at Yorktown (October, 2018) by Nathaniel Philbrick (below w/ a map of Yorktown, where the US Revolution more or less ended w/ the surrender of Cornwallis in October 1781 - took two more years for the Treaty of Paris to officially end the war) - excellent narrative of the allied cooperation, both land and sea, between Washington and the French. Dave :)
    519MtIL5q5L._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg rb_mntvernon_siegeyorktown_final-web.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    American Revolution Begins on April 19, 1775 at Lexington & Concord!

On April 19, 1775 in Lexington & Concord, Massachusetts, the first armed conflict between the Americans and British occurred w/ the 'shot heard around the world' on Lexington Green - beginning quote below from a Wiki Article - both towns are close to Boston, so an easy visit either by yourself (which I did a number of decades ago) or as part of likely many tours in the area. Pics below from the web - Dave :)

#2523 giradman, Apr 19, 2019 at 11:15 AM
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019 at 5:38 PM