On this day in history.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KevinJS, Aug 3, 2012.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Yosemite National Park Created October 1 in 1890

On this day in 1890, President Benjamin Harrison signed into law the creation of Yosemite National Park, located in California's Sierra Nevada Mountains. Susan and I have been there just once and stayed at the Ahwahnee Hotel (renamed the Majestic Yosemite Hotel in 2016) for 3 or 4 nights. There is MUCH to see including Half Dome, waterfalls, lakes, and the giant sequoia trees. Quotes and pics below.

The nature photographer, Ansel Adams, took numerous images in Yosemite Valley and surroundings - many are available for purchase at the still family-runned Ansel Adams Gallery - a number of years ago, we purchased 3 Adams photographs from the 'Special Edition' selection (printed from his original negatives and stunning - see description below, if interested) - a nice option vs. buying his originals which are also offered on the site for thousands of dollars. Dave :)

P.S. for those wanting more on Ansel Adams, the PBS documentary shown below is outstanding.

Yosemite0.jpg Yosemite1.jpg Yosemite2.jpg Yosemite3.jpg Yosemite4.jpg Yosemite5a.jpg Yosemite5b.png Yosemite6.png Yosemite7.jpg Yosemite8.jpg Yosemite9a.jpg Yosemite9b.jpg

#2501 giradman, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Columbus Day - Controversial Holiday - Worthy of Celebration?

In the United States, Columbus Day is celebrated on the second Monday of October, i.e. today despite the Bahamian landing being on October 12. This has always been a controversial issue on both American continents (see quotes below, especially the last one) w/ opponents wanting to eliminate the holiday and/or replace it honoring others, such as the Native Americans.

In USA Today this morning an article appeared about Columbus, Ohio (the largest namesake city in the USA, capital of the state in which I was born - in Toledo on Lake Erie) - opening states: "The city of Columbus, Ohio, will not observe the controversial federal holiday honoring its namesake, Italian explorer Christopher Columbus, for the first time this year." (LINK). Over the decades, I've read many books on the exploration of the Americas and on the Native populations, who were virtually 'wiped out' by outright killings, slavery, and foremost diseases - one of my favorite books is shown below, American Holocaust, and for those who like tee shirts, I own several on the 'controversy', such as the one also shown. :) Dave

Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 1.00.11 PM.png

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Spruce Goose Flies Today in 1947!

The 'Hughes Flying Boat', nicknamed the Spruce Goose because of its predominant wood construction, was suppose to be a trans-Atlantic transport plane but was not completed until 1946 after WW II ended; the aircraft was the largest ever built and had a short maiden voyage today in 1947 (story quoted below - also an interesting video).

"The aircraft remains in good condition. After being displayed to the public for almost 11 years in Long Beach, California from 1980 to 1991, it is now displayed at the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum in McMinnville, Oregon, United States" (Wiki). My family and I were in Los Angeles in the 1980s to see my brother - one of our many activities included a visit to Long Beach, CA to see the Spruce Goose - quite impressive 'in person' as the pics below show. Dave :)

SGoose1.jpg SGoose2.jpg SGoose3.jpg SGoose4.jpg

#2503 giradman, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Nazis Launch Kristallnact this day in 1938!

Eighty years ago on this day, the German Nazis launch a terror campaign against Jews in Germany and Austria - their homes, businesses, and synagogues were vandalized. The smashing of countless windows of Jewish owned establishments led to the naming of the event Kristallnact or 'Night of Broken Glass' - much more quoted below and just a few pics from the web.

Germany reflects today: "Germany on Friday remembered victims of the Nazi pogrom that heralded the Third Reich's drive to wipe out Jews, at a time when anti-Semitism and nationalism is resurgent in the West. In a speech at the Bundestag marking the 80th anniversary of Kristallnacht, also known as the Night of Broken Glass, President Frank-Walter Steinmeier said the violence on November 9th, 1938 marked "the incomparable break from civilization, Germany's fall into barbarism" (SOURCE). Dave :)

Knach1.jpg Knach2.jpg Knach3.jpg Knach4.png

5. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    November 12, 1918:
    German-Austria is officially declared a republic. Today, Austria celebrates it‘s 100th „birthday“. :)
    Republic of German-Austria - Wikipedia
    If you read the article thoroughly, you‘ll notice that my state, Burgenland, wasn‘t part of the original 9 provinces. We joined in 1921.

6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Memorial Day November 11 - Monday Holiday in the USA

Below is a post I left in the thread a few years ago on Memorial Day - still amazes me that the ensuing flu pandemic at the end of that decade killed at least 3-4X the number of people and likely more! Dave :)

7. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    What was signed on November 11th was an armistice; or cease fire. The formal end to the war came on June 28, 1919 with the signing of the Treaty of Versailles. Treaty of Versailles - Wikipedia
    800px-Treaty_of_Versailles,_English_version.jpg
    This is why some WWI memorials, including the one in my hometown list the war as lasting from 1914 to 1919.

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Well, true of a number of past wars, e.g. the American Revolutionary War is often dated April 19, 1775 (Lexington & Concord) to October 19, 1781 (Yorktown and Cornwallis' surrender) - and Yorktown was effectively the end of the struggle, but fighting continued, especially between the civilian population on either side - just finished the book below on Francis Marion, the 'Swamp Fox' who's exploits in eastern South Carolina between 1780-1782 were legendary - 1782 still saw some bloody warfare - officially, the war ended the following year w/ the Treaty of Paris signed on September 3, 1783. Dave :)
    Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 5.19.36 PM.png

9. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    December 24, 1818:
    200 years ago, the Christmas carol “Silent Night” (composer: Franz Xaver Gruber, lyrics: Joseph Mohr) was performed for the very first time in Oberndorf bei Salzburg, Austria.
    Silent Night - Wikipedia

10. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Great Boston Molasses Flood Today in 1919 Killing 21 People!

Centennial Celebration - On January 15, 1919, a HUGE molasses tank burst flooding the streets of historic North Boston causing massive destruction and killing 21 people and dozens of horses. At that time and just after WW I ended, molasses was used for the production of alcoholic beverages, particularly rum. Ironically, the next day the requisite number of states ratified the 18th Amendment approving Prohibition in the United States which became effective a year later in January 1920 - below a few pics and a short video. Dave :)

MolassesFloodMain-logo_900x600.jpg 190114-great-boston-molasses-flood-devastation-cs-936a_85140f810b1aa0b5efc7accab5704974.fit-760w.jpg