On this day in history.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KevinJS, Aug 3, 2012.

1. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I was there in 2015.

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Susan & I have made two trips to London and visited the Abbey both times - just amazing the number and variety of famous people buried there - a couple quotes below from this Wiki Article - you even have to watch where you're stepping - ;) Dave

Elizabeth_I_of_England_grave_(left)_2013.jpg

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Being a classical music fan, the memorials to Henry Purcell & George Frederic Handel were several of my favorites to visit (but there are so many others, such as Charles Darwin & Issac Newton) - I had forgotten that Handel's birth year is inscribed as 1684 which is incorrect, i.e. 1685 (same as JS Bach) - the explanation is quoted below (first two sentences) - Dave :)

85916914.jpg Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 3.46.02 PM.png

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Gold Discovered in California at Sutter's Mill This Day in 1848!

The United States acquired California (and much more territory) after the Mexican-American War victory and within a year a so, James Marshall working at John Sutter's mill near Sacramento, discovered gold which led to an amazing influx of people to California which was admitted as a state in 1850!

For more information, see quotes below - first video a short introduction to the gold rush; second video a song about 'Sutter's Mill' by Dan Fogelberg (I've owned that album on CD, 'High Country Snows' since its release); and finally, just a few pics - only a couple of ways to get to California back then across the land or by sea, both long treks! Dave :)

Gold1.jpg Gold2.jpg Gold3.jpg Gold4.jpg

5. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    My knowledge of Nellie Bly was rather scanty until I read the link given and her Wiki Bio - for those interested, take a look. There is a film from 2015 about the madhouse expose (which I've never seen but available on Amazon for free to Prime subscribers) - on Rotten Tomatoes, the audience seemed to have liked the film, but only one negative review from a critic HERE; the Amazonians gave an overall rating of 3.1*/5* w/ a reverse 'bell-shaped curve', i.e. 1/3 w/ 5* and 1/3 w/ 1* - there is also a 1981 TV movie, The Adventures of Nellie Bly rated well but not available for an Amazon watch, but is on YouTube - below two videos, the first a short bio of Nellie, and the second the movie mention (in rather poor resolution). Dave :)

ADDENDUM: Just finished watching the movie below - not bad at all - takes her through the 10 days in the madhouse - but not the trip around the world (could have been another film?).

Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 11.13.13 AM.png

#2456 giradman, Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  7. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    January 29, 1820;

King George III dies at the age of 82. He was the King that lost the British colonies in America and spent the last 10 years of his life out of public life due to mental illness. His son ruled in his name for these last 10 years as the Prince Regent, leading to calling this period of British history the Regency Period.
    George III of the United Kingdom - Wikipedia
    Allan_Ramsay_-_King_George_III_in_coronation_robes_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    George III married Princess Charlotte from Germany in 1761 - the city of Charlotte, North Carolina was named in her honor and is known as the Queen City - their portraits hang in the original Mint Museum Building (a second museum is located in Uptown - pics of both below along w/ the paintings). An exhibit from 2011-12, which we attended (just a 90 min drive for us) is described below.

A portion of the older Mint Museum was established as a US Mint in 1836 (see second quote), related to the Carolina Gold Rush - "in 1835, Andrew Jackson signed into a law bill to open three branch mints: in Charlotte, North Carolina, and Dahlonega, Georgia, for minting gold coinage, and in New Orleans, Louisiana. The ones in Charlotte and Dahlonega were to mint the newly discovered gold." The Reed Gold Mine described in the third quote is just east of Charlotte and is open to visitors - amazingly, Susan and I have not made a visit there! Yikes - another item to put on our travel list - :) Dave

MintMuseums.png GeorgeIII.jpg

9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    The Day The Music Died - Buddy Holly Killed Today in 1959 in an Airplane Crash!

The Day the Music Died is a line from Don McLean's song American Pie which was in memory to Holly, Valens & Richardson - the title of the song refers to the name of the plane (click on the video below to hear the song). Buddy Holly (1936-1959) was just 22 years old at the time of the accident and one can only wonder where his career might have progressed over the next decade or two?

Some more information in the quotes below; a pic of Buddy and the Iowa Memorial at the crash site - my one CD of Holly's music is also shown (contains about 20 songs and recommended) - also, Don McLean's album w/ American Pie (also includes the song about Vincent Van Gogh) - finally, a film was released in 1978 called 'The Buddy Holly Story' starring Gary Busey doing his own excellent imitative singing of Holly's songs - Buddy's friends were rather upset and released 'The Real Buddy Holly Story' which I've not seen (surprised!) (see last quote for more discussion) - the latter is available from Amazon on DVD. Dave :)

Holly1.jpg Holly2.jpg Holly3.png Holly4.png

10. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Charles Darwin & Abraham Lincoln Born Today in 1809!

Well, an interesting coincidence of two famous men who led quite different lives - Dave :)
    Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 6.55.14 PM.png