On this day in history.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KevinJS, Aug 3, 2012.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Scifan.. - I was on the History Channel Website today and saw the South Pole item - plenty of events happened today - just to mention a few others of interest to me:

Indy 'Brickyard' Completed Today in 1909!

This has come up in my travelogue to Indianapolis where my son lives - more details there for those interested - below just the first paragraph from HERE. Now I'm not a racing car fan (despite living in North Carolina) but when taking our son to Indiana University in Bloomington (early 1990s) we flew into Indianapolis and did some tourist stops including the Speedway - visited the museum and took a tour van around the track.

Indy1.jpg Indy2.jpg Indy3.jpg Indy4.png

George Washington Died Today in 1799!

George Washington - Virginia farmer, Revolutionary War hero, and First President of the United States developed a respiratory infection after spending a day on his horse in bad weather on this Mt. Vernon Estate - he became ill and was 'bled' by his physicians - today's medicine would have easily cured him - he is buried w/ his wife, Martha, on the property (pic below) - I've been to Mt. Vernon many times but my last visit was special - a new museum has opened which is excellent - highly recommended for those in the area. Dave :)

GW1.jpg GW2.jpg GW3.jpg GW4.jpg

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Wright Brothers First Flight Today in 1903 on the Outer Banks of North Carolina!

Quoted below is my post from a year ago (LINK) - check the link for more follow-up posts, if interested. Also, as stated in the second paragraph below, Susan & I did our Outer Banks trip in May of this year - check my Travelogue for details and many pics - not to be missed if you're traveling along the Carolina Coast. Dave :)

P.S. Open the quote below for more information and images.

#2432 giradman, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Vincent van Gogh Cuts Off Ear This Day in 1888

When I was an undergrad at Michigan, I took two art courses - French Impressionism and the post-periods were my favorite and I greatly enjoyed Vincent van Gogh. This day in 1888 in Arles, he chopped off his lower left ear w/ a razor (more details quoted below) - he painted his portrait after the ear was bandaged (also below) - appears to be his right ear, but he did his self-portraits using a mirror, hence the explanation (more HERE); pics below of some of his paintings and an apparent photograph of him found after his death.

Over the decades, I have seen innumerable paintings by van Gogh, but a treat was back in the 1980s when Susan & I took a trip to the European Lowland Countries (went to all three) - we started in Amsterdam and visited the famous Rijksmuseum and also the Van Gogh Museum (last pic below). Dave :)

VanGogh1.jpg VanGogh2.jpg VanGogh3.jpg VanGogh4.jpg VanGogh5.jpg VanGogh6.jpg VanGogh7.jpg VanGogh8.jpg

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Van Gogh Films - Lust for Life & Loving Vincent

Just a follow-up post about Vincent Van Gogh - first, Lust for Life (1956) bio film w/ Kirk Douglas as a convincing van Gogh and Anthony Quinn giving an Oscar winning performance as Paul Gauguin.

Second, Susan & I recently saw the 2017 film Loving Vincent - remarkable production and highly recommended (see second quote below).

Finally, there is always the wonderful song by Don McLean - play the YouTube, if interested. Dave :)

VanGogh1.jpg VanGogh2.jpg

5. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    December 23, 1986;

On this day the aircraft Voyager completes the first non stop flight around the world without refuelling. The plane took off from and landed at Edwards Air Force base in California and was piloted by Dick Rutan and Jeana Yeager.
    Rutan Voyager - Wikipedia
    Takeoff
    Flight
    Landing
    0701014_4.jpg Rutan-Voyager-Landed.jpg EDFC0841-38FA-4199-8288-AC03F7E7C46A_w1023_r1_s.jpg

#2435 scifan57, Dec 23, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Massive Tsunami Off Sumatra Today in 2004 Killing 230,000 People!

On December 26, 2004, a 9.3 magnitude undersea earthquake occurred off the coast of Sumatra and spread across the Indian Ocean reaching the coast of Africa - Aceh, the heavily populated north end of Sumatra was hit by 80-100 ft waves causing unbelievable devastation and death (nearly two-thirds of those killed in this major natural disaster). Below are pics mainly from the Aceh area w/ two showing the initial destruction and recovery 10 years later (LINK 1 - LINK 2).

In 2012, a film called The Impossible was made about the disaster and is worth seeing - check the link for the 'true story' of a family on Christmas vacation in Thailand when the tsunami hit that country. Dave :)

Tsunami1.jpg Tsunami2.jpg Tsunami3a.jpg Tsunami3b.jpg Tsunami4.jpg Tsunami5.png Tsunami6.jpg Tsunami7a.jpg Tsunami7b.jpg Tsunami8.jpg

7. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    December 29th, 1845;

The Republic of Texas is admitted to the United States as the 28th state 6 months after the Texas Congress accepts annexation by the United States. Texas had declared its independence from Mexico in March 1836.
    Texas annexation - Wikipedia
    440px-Wpdms_republic_of_texas.svg.png
    maptx1850.gif

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    The James Polk presidency (1845-1849), just one term, added an enormous amount of territory to the United States, starting w/ the annexation of Texas at the end of 1845, as mentioned previously, continuing w/ settlement of the Oregon Territory boundary w/ Great Britain, and finally w/ the Mexican-American War (1846-1848) in which California entered the Union in 1850 (more facts quoted below) - map showing the country at the end of the Polk administration. Dave :)

800px-United_States_1849-1850.png polk-painting.jpg

9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Massacre at Wounded Knee in South Dakota This Day in 1890!

On this day in 1890, the US Army murdered at least 150 and possibly 300 Native Americans (half women and children), arguably the WORST mass shooting in American history, depending on one's definition and criteria, I guess (Source) - more details below and just a few pics, including the 'famous one' of the Lakota Chief, Bigfoot. Dave :)

Lakota_tipi_camp_near_Pine_Ridge.jpg Spotted_Elk_(aka._Bigfoot)_lies_dead_after_massacre_at_Wounded_Knee._.jpg

10. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    January 1, 45 B.C.;

New Years Day is celebrated on January 1st for the first time in history.
    Shortly after becoming Dictator for life, Julius Caesar decided that something had to be done with the Roman calendar which had fallen badly out of step with the seasons. In association with the Alexandrian astronomer Sosigenes, the year was calculated to be 365 1/4 days long. Every 4 years an extra day was added to February to keep the calendar aligned with the seasons.
    Their calculation of the length of the year was actually slightly less than 365 1/4 days, being 365.242199 days long. This led to a growing error in the calendar that had reached 10 days by the 1570's when Pope Gregory XIII commissioned Jesuit astronomer Christopher Clavius to devise a new calendar.
    The new Gregorian calendar was implemented in 1582 when 10 days were omitted from the year and only one in 4 centennial years was to be a leap year.
    Julian calendar - Wikipedia
    From Julian to Gregorian Calendar
    Caesar.jpg