On this day in history.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KevinJS, Aug 3, 2012.

1. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    My hotel when I was last in London was a block away from St Pancras station, where passengers board the Eurostar.

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    We've stayed in London on two different trips in the '80s - both times at the May Fair Hotel, a great location w/ the Green Park Tube station nearby; also, just a block away was the famous Berkeley Square of song - probably our favorite version w/ Mel Torme (as below, for those interested). BUT, I had to jog my geographic memory, i.e. London is not that far from the Channel Tunnel, as shown in the map (blue arrows) - doubt that we'll be returning - if we did a tunnel crossing would be on my agenda! :) Dave

Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 1.36.31 PM.png

3. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    #2423 scifan57, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Pearl Harbor Bombed on this day in 1941!

Well, a BIG event today from 1941 - the Japanese surprise attack on Pearl Harbor which brought the United States into WW II - just a couple of pics below - plenty more could be said, so will be interested in the responses.

P.S. Same post that I left a few years ago - time flies! :) Dave

5. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I’ve been to Pearl Harbour several times and have visited the Arizona memorial. Most visitors to Pearl Harbour don’t realize that the Arizona isn’t the only battleship sunk that day that’s still at the bottom of the Harbour. The USS Utah is on the opposite side of Ford Island. USS Utah (BB-31) - Wikipedia
    CF7DBB4A-55E8-421D-87D5-35B5F212A0AE.jpeg

6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    We've been to Hawaii twice, but visited the Arizona Memorial just once; the nearby Battleship USS Missouri Memorial opened in 1999 and our visits were earlier, so have missed that one - would have loved to been on the ship were the Japanese surrender was signed - one of my older academic radiology colleagues, Elias Theros was a WW II Naval Intelligence Officer and interpreter (he spoke a half dozen languages, including Japanese) - he was on the USS Missouri and likely participated in the surrender - he passed away in 1994 and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery (gravestone shown below) - he was a remarkable individual (check link for short bio, if interested).

Susan & I are watching the new Hawaii Five-O and love the frequent 'fly over' scenes of the islands, often including views of Pearl Harbor and the Arizona Memorial - the head of the fictional 'task force' is Steve McGarrett, who's grandfather was on the Arizona (of course, in the series) and presumably is entombed in the sunken ship (as are over 1100+ men, in reality) - couple more pics below. Dave :)

P.S. In our daily newspaper, a story ran of the identification of 100 sailors & Marines who died on the USS Oklahoma during the December 7, 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor - pic below and LINK - this event and story continues to fascinate and be honored.
    PHarbor1.jpg PHarbor2.jpg PHarbor3.jpg PHarbor4.png PHarbor5.png

7. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I’ve visited the USS Missouri before it’s last period of active service, when it was moored at the Bremerton Navy Yard in Washington. There is a brass plate set in the deck at the spot where the surrender was signed.I’ve also had a tour of the USS New Jersey when it was in service and got to visit the inside of one of the main gun turrets.

#2427 scifan57, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    I enjoy visiting these ships but Susan was always uncomfortable climbing 'up & down' and particularly disliked submarines, so don't expect to visit many more - over the decades, I've been on maybe a half dozen WW II vessels (but plenty of other boats and ships from earlier eras) - Patriots Point is a good location in Charleston, SC w/ the USS Yorktown, a destroyer, and a submarine. My BIL use to live in Mobile, AL and we were on the USS Alabama and in a sub there; and of course, the USS North Carolina is docked in Wilmington and topic of my travelogues.

I was just looking at this Wiki list of Maritime Museums in the United States, which include a LOT of variety from the ones w/ WW II vessels, to lighthouses, locales (e.g. Mystic Seaport, Annapolis, etc.), and whaling museums; there are 268 listings - WOW - looking quickly over that list, believe that I've seen maybe 3 dozen or so, and amazed at how many I've missed in my 'neck of the woods', i.e. mid-Atlantic - we might visit the Yorktown/Williamsburg/Newport News area in Virginia next year (a new museum of the American Revolution opened earlier this year) and there are plenty on that list that I have not seen. Dave :)
    Ships1.jpg Ships2.png Ships3.jpg Ships4.jpg

9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    John Lennon Shot & Killed Today in 1980 in NYC!

For more information - see the previous POSTS on the event from a few years ago - Dave :)

10. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received: