On this day in history.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KevinJS, Aug 3, 2012.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the link - an interesting read - since the battle was 600+ years ago the terrain has likely changed a lot, I presume; went to the maps app on my MBPro and found Ruisseauville (north of Azincourt & stated in the link to be just north of the likely battlefield) - then switched to a satellite view (below) - seems like small towns and farm land - one would expect w/ a metal detector that a LOT of iron artifacts would be found (e.g. arrowheads, axes, armor pieces, etc.). Dave :)

P.S. notice the Rue Henri V south of Azincourt.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 12.32.01 PM.png

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Scavengers going through the battlefield shortly after the battle would have taken a lot of what was lost during the battle but there should still be lots to find if the actual site of the battle is ever discovered.

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Gateway Arch in St. Louis Complete This Day in 1965!

About a half dozen years ago, we flew into St. Louis for a short vacation (our first and only visit) - our son drove in from Indianapolis - we visited the Gateway Arch (more below) and took the tram ride to the top for some spectacular views; nearby was the Old Courthouse where the Dred Scott cases took place, and a must visit. Among other memorable attractions (did a lot!) were a visit to the Budweiser Brewery for a tour & tasting - and saw some of their beautiful, large horses. Finally, a short drive across the Mississippi River into Illinois to the Cahokia Mounds State Historic Site, an important pre-Columbian Native American 'city' - all recommended; pics below of each attraction mentioned. Dave :)

StLouisA1.jpg StLouisA2.jpg StLouisA3.jpg StLouisB1.jpg StLouisB2.jpg StLouisB3.jpg StLouisC1.jpg StLouisC2.jpg StLouisC3.jpg StLouisD1.jpg StLouisD2.jpg StLouisD3.jpg

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Lisbon Destroyed By Earthquake This Day in 1755!

In the early 1970s, Susan & I took a trip to Portugal, including the island of Madeira (my introduction to the fortified wines there) - we spent about 4 days in Lisbon, visiting the city and taking day trips to the beautiful coastal areas. Unfortunately, we did not include the northern city of Oporto, center of the port area and trade (dessert wines that I collected and aged in bygone days). The city was a pleasure and much remembered about the 1755 devastating earthquake and tsunami in its museums and some of the ruins. Just a few pics below, including an excellent book, Wrath of God, that I read a while ago. Dave :)

LisbonA1.png LisbonA2.png LisbonB1.jpg LisbonB2.jpg LisbonB3.png

5. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Is there anything of medieval Lisbon surviving?
    Was the castle in the last photo one of the survivors of the earthquake?

6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Boy, after 40+ years, my recollection is rather vague, sorry - but the web comes to the rescue - a couple of good links on Lisbon and Earthquake Effects (latter claims that 75,000 people died w/i a week!) - and more on the São Jorge Castle - below a quote from the last link indicating severe damage to the castle, so assume much restoration since the earthquake.

So, there are pre-quake remains (or restorations) - also, an interesting 'neighborhood' (of many) that we visited (on a city tour and later on our own) was the Alfama described in the second quote - pretty much survived intact because of its location - as I recall, the streets were curvy & tight - shops, restaurants, etc. and likely even more these days. Dave :)

2000px-CastleSaintGeorge.jpg Alfama-CCBY.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel Ceiling Exhibited to Public First Time in 1512!

Well, I usually don't put up two posts a day in this thread, but the above is another personal experience for Susan & me - after I graduated from medical school (May 1971), Susan's parents wanted to give us a 'celebration gift', so I choose a visit to Italy (my first trip to Europe) - we started in Rome, went as far south as Naples and Capri, then up to Florence & Venice, and finally Lake Como & Milan, a 2+ week trip.

While in Rome, we spent a day in Vatican City w/ a visit to St. Peter's Basilica and the Sistine Chapel - Michelangelo produced some of his finest 'paintings' in that chapel located next to the much larger basilica - pics below show the chapel's location in the 'city', and multiple images of the inside w/ ceiling, walls, and the final Last Judgment. Dave :)

SChapel1.png SChapel2.jpg SChapel3.jpg SChapel4.jpg SChapel5.jpg SChapel6.png SChapel7.jpg SChapel8.jpg

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Detroit-Windsor Tunnel Opened Today in 1930!

The United States and Canada were connected by a 5,150 ft (1,570 meters) underwater tunnel 87 years ago today. The tunnel is the second busiest crossing between the United States and Canada after the nearby Ambassador Bridge (more details in this Wiki Article).

Having grown up in southern Michigan and going to school near Detroit, I've probably gone through this tunnel at least a dozen times; four trips (counting both ways) w/ Susan, first to Niagara Falls and then to Stratford, Ontario for their Annual Festival - this last trip was in the early 1970s - have not been back since that time. Dave :)

DWTunnel1.png DWTunnel2.png DWTunnel3.jpg DWTunnel4.jpg DWTunnel5.jpg DWTunnel6.jpg DWTunnel7.jpg DWTunnel8.jpg

9. Thomas1977

Thomas1977
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I actually went through that tunnel several years ago. It is really cool.

10. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Thomas - well 45+ years for my wife and I - we were young newlyweds on our visit to Stratford for the festival - brought her younger sister along who was also attending the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor - had a great time, cannot remember what 'shows or plays' that we saw, but had a terrible Chinese dinner there - should have searched for some more authentic Canadian grub - :) Dave