On this day in history.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KevinJS, Aug 3, 2012.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Thurgood Marshall Confirmed First African American United States Supreme Court Justice in 1967!

This day in 1967, Thurgood Marshall was confirmed the first African American justice of the Supreme Court - see quotes below - in 1981, Sandra Day O'Connor became the first woman justice appointed to the Supreme Court; she retired in 2006, but now there are 3 incumbent women sitting in that position. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 2.15.27 PM.png 1200x.jpeg

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Amy Beach, American Female Composer, Born 150 Years Ago in 1867!

American 'classical' music started in the 19th century and by the late 1800s & early 1900s, the famous Boston Six emerged as a prominent group of 'boys' except for the addition of Amy Beach (see first two quotes below); she was a remarkable 'child prodigy', a brilliant pianist and composer of many genres of music - because of the mores of the times, upper class women were meant to be matrons of society and of home, with their talents often stifled (see third quote about her domineering husband); likely might have been a much different story if Amy had been born 50 or so years later?

For myself, I own just over a half dozen CDs of Beach's compositions, six are shown below including orchestral works, chamber music, and 3 discs of solo piano works w/ Joanne Polk. Dave :)

Amy_Beach_01.jpg Amy_Beach_02.png Amy_Beach_03.png

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Lascaux Cave Paintings Discovered Today in 1940!

Boy, brings back memories for me in the fall of 1964 - I started as a freshman undergrad @ the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) - two of my courses where History of Art & Physical Anthropology when I became well acquainted w/ the Lascaux Cave paintings described below. The caves are located in southwest France near Bordeaux - I've never made a visit. As indicated below, the original caves were closed and a replication constructed nearby (check HERE and the last image below - click to enlarge and read better). Dave :)

Cave1.jpg Cave2.jpg Cave3.jpg Cave4.png

4. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I believe the caves were closed to the public because in addition to bright artificial lighting, the added moisture from the exhaled breaths of visitors was causing damage to the cave paintings. They were so well preserved because they spent thousands of years in total darkness with an unchanging environment.
    You can see similar degradation in the wall paintings in Tut's tomb in the Valley of the Kings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Yep - you know your caves! :) Quoted below from one of the links in my first post - Dave

6. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Another fine example of the degradation caused to wall paintings after a long sealed space was opened to the public are the buried remains of Nero's Golden House in Rome. When first rediscovered during the Renaissance, the frescoes were in near perfect condition. now, after several hundred years with little thought to preservation, the frescoes are a pale shadow of their former state.

7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Lincoln Issues Preliminary Emancipation Proclamation Today in 1862

President Abraham Lincoln's main goal during the early part of the American Civil War was for reunion, despite his long hatred of slavery in the country - his response to a Horace Greeley editorial just a month before the Battle of Antietam is revealing of his feelings and his political astuteness (first pic below). Antietam (the bloodiest single day in the Civil War) provided the impetus for the preliminary announcement of the Emancipation Proclamation on this day - freedom was granted to slaves only in states in rebellion (see map) - passage of the 13th Amendment in 1865 prohibited slavery throughout America. The original of the Emancipation Proclamation of January 1, 1863, is in the National Archives in Washington, DC. Dave :)

EP1.png EP2.jpg EP3.jpg EP4.png

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    An NPR story today - 60th Anniversary of the event below - a post that I left in my Arkansas travelogue about a year ago (HERE) - take a look at the link for much more on this interesting state. Dave :)

Central High School - Little Rock Nine - Racial Integration - 1957

After visiting the Old State House, I returned to pick up Susan - we lunched across the street at the Marriott Hotel, then drove to the Little Rock Central HS National Historic Site, which is near the State Capitol - as discussed in the quotes below, in September of 1957, the school gained national prominence over racial integration. President Eisenhower had to send in federal troops - see the video below, if interested.

In 1998, Congress established the Little Rock Central High School National Historic Site, which is across the street from the historic Mobil gas station, the 'news center' for the events that occurred. The pics below show the school, some of the many photos taken during the crisis, the visitor's center/gas station, and a few w/ the local Civil Rights activist, Daisy Bates. Next post on the Arkansas History Museum in the downtown area. Dave :)

P.S. Central High School is still active w/ over 2400 students in 2011 (Source above quotes) - the school is not open for touring unless scheduled. Also, "the American Institute of Architects named it “America’s Most Beautiful High School.” (Source).

9. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The integration of the school was opposed by the Arkansas governor who wanted to call out the state militia to prevent federal troops from enforcing the integration order until the President nationalized the state militia.

#2379 scifan57, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  10. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Well, you know the event well - the whole subject, including the now rather embarrassing behavior (in my mind) of Governor Orval Faubus - some discussion below in the quotes (Source), for those interested. Despite his defiant attitude, he served as the Governor of Arkansas for 6 straight terms (1955-1967), i.e. 10 more years after the 'Little Rock Nine' event (third quote, Wiki). Dave :)
    Orval1.png Orval2.png

#2380 giradman, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017