On this day in history.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KevinJS, Aug 3, 2012.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    USS Kearsarge sinks CSS Alabama this day in 1864!

In the American Civil War, the Confederacy produced a number of notable successes, but just to mention a few (in my mind) are Robert E. Lee and the CSS Alabama, captained by Raphael Semmes - this day in 1864 off the coast of France the Confederate raider was sunk by the USS Kearsarge - pics below of the ship w/ a scaled model and actual photographs aboard the vessel; brief history in first two quotes - the 'wreck' has been found and marine archeological research is ongoing under a joint French-American operation (last quote below - link from Wiki w/ lots more information). I've read a number of books on the naval history of the Civil War, including the one in the last image specifically about this warship. Dave :)

Alabama_1.png Alabama_2.png Alabama_3.png Alabama_4.png Alabama_5.png Alabama_6.png Alabama_7.png Alabama_8.png

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    United States Constitution Ratified in 1788

The United States Constitution replaced the Articles of Confederation and became the 'new' law of the country; the Bill of Rights (first 10 Amendments to the Constitution) was shortly adopted. The Constitutional Convention convened in May 1787 at Independence Hall in Philadelphia in the same room in which the Declaration of Independence was signed; George Washington was the president of the convention and soon to be first President of the United States. The documents can be seen in the Rotunda of the National Archives in Washington, D.C. - visits to Philly & D.C. both highly recommended - more details quoted below along w/ some pics. Dave :)

Constitution1.jpg Constitution2.jpg Constitution3.png Constitution4.jpg Constitution5.jpg Constitution6.jpg

3. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    June 22, 1987, was the day Frederick Austerlitz, better known as Fred Astaire, American dancer, singer, actor, ..., died in Los Angeles, California, at the age of 88.
    IMG_4315.JPG
    Fred Astaire - Wikipedia

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Fred Astaire is one of my favorite movie performers - love his singing, dancing, and performance style. Of course, he made mostly musicals (until later in his decades long career) - this IMDB LINK lists 36 movies that he made in chronological order w/ images & their 10-scale ratings - for myself, I own about a dozen and a half (shown below) on commercial DVDs & a few BDs and a number of DVD-Rs that I've burned from the TCM channel (not to worry, all in public domain) - I could easily add to this collection - :)

For those wanting just CDs, there are plenty of film track offerings as single discs or multiple CD sets - at the moment, I have just two recordings (second pic below): 1) ASV 'Let's Face the Music & Dance' - from the 1930s & 40s; and 2) 'Steppin' Out: Astaire Sings' - recorded on Verve by Norman Granz in 1952 w/ a stupendous jazz quartet (Oscar Peterson, piano; Barney Kessel, guitar; Ray Brown, bass; Alvin Stoller, drums). The latter is my favorite (on my iPod & iPad) - highly recommended. Dave
    Astaire1.png Astaire2.png

5. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll notice that in any Fred Astaire movie that shows him dancing that there are no close ups, his full body is always shown. This was due to a contract stipulation he included that mandated this.

6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Believe that I knew that fact, which likely impacted on many other 'film dancers' over the decades - quote below from Johanna's link - also, a few pics of the 'young' Fred w/ his older sister Adele - he had more hair then - ;)

And a bonus for those who have not seen the scene from the Royal Wedding (1951) where Fred dances on the floor, walls, & ceiling as if in 'outer space' - the 'trick' accomplished by a rotating room - the video splits the actual movie appearance on the left w/ the rotating room - guess that he needed to do something 'innovative' after all of those previous movies - :) Dave

Fred1.jpg Fred2.jpg

7. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    June 24, 1948;

The Soviets blockade West Berlin. This initiated the Berlin Airlift and was a diplomatic disaster for the Soviets. Berlin Blockade - Wikipedia
    IMG_3918.JPG IMG_3919.JPG

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Battle of Little Bighorn This Day in 1876 - Custer's Last Stand

On this day in 1876 near the Little Bighorn river in southern Montana, Lt. Colonel George Armstrong Custer and the 600 men of the 7th Calvary were annilated by combined Native American forces led by Chiefs Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull - more details below. Pics of the location of the battlefield, battle map, museum, and 'last stand' monument; also, photos of Custer and Sitting Bull (who later became a popular attraction in Buffalo Bill's Wild West show); also, the 'incomplete' huge Crazy Horse Memorial in South Dakota, started in the late 1940s and still a 'work in progress' (see last quote below). Dave :)

Custer1.jpg Custer2.png Custer3.jpg Custer4.jpg Custer5.jpg Custer6.jpg Custer7.jpg Custer8.jpg

9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    James Madison, Father of the US Constitution & 4th President Dies Today in 1836

James Madison, one of the Founding Fathers of the United States, died this day in 1836 just a week before the announcement of the Declaration of Independence, 60 years earlier in 1776 - I can only imagine that he wished to die on July 4th! There are 3 early US Presidents who died on July 4 - John Adams & Thomas Jefferson on the same day in 1826 & James Monroe in 1831 - Madison studied and wrote much of the US Constitution at his Montpelier Estate in Virginia (if interested, see my Virginia Mountains Travelogue) - he was married to Dolley Madison, who saved the portrait of George Washington in the White House when burned during the War of 1812 - Dolley was born in North Carolina near Greensboro (just east of us 30 minutes) - there is a wonderful exhibit of her in the Greensboro Historical Museum. Finally, Madison was the shortest & leanest of ALL the United States Presidents, just 5'4" tall and weighing in at over 120 lbs. Dave

Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 8.23.38 PM.png

10. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    June 29, 2007;

The first iPhone went on sale, having been announced 6 months earlier at Macworld Expo 2007 in San Francisco by Steve Jobs.

#2320 scifan57, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017