On this day in history.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KevinJS, Aug 3, 2012.

1. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    May 25, 1977;

Star Wars premiers at the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood and several thousand other theatres 40 years ago today. It's hard to believe Star Wars is that old.
    Star Wars (film) - Wikipedia
    IMG_3626.PNG IMG_3627.JPG

#2291 scifan57, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017
  2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    These films have seen a number of re-releases - in 2012, I bought the Blu-ray set below of the original 3 movies, i.e. IV - VI (these were 2011 blu-ray re-dos; saw the prequels but never interested in owning) - cost me about $30 w/ a gift certificate (from Amazon) - George Lucas manipulated a number of the scenes and introduced some CGI graphics, presumably to 'improve' the films?

Some of these changes are shown in the second image (Source) - the last two pics are several visual alterations made. I don't believe that the 'original theatrical' releases of these films have been put on blu-ray yet, or never will - an irritation to some critics and reviewers - not sure that I care that much, i.e. my BDs are completely acceptable and enjoyable, just my 2 cents! :) Dave
    StarWars_1.png StarWars_2.png StarWars_3.png StarWars_4.png

3. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The original theatrical release version of Star Wars, with the original opening sequence(without the episode number and subtitle), has not been seen since its original release in 1977. The theatrical re-release in 1978 and all subsequent theatrical and home video releases have the modified opening sequence.

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Bismarck Sunk Today in 1941 & the Golden Gate Bridge Opens in 1937

I've noticed that we are starting to repeat ourselves, including the events above; SO, I'll just leave some links to the older posts which will include history, links, and pics:

Bismarck Sunk - see post #1782 & #1783 (May 26, 2016).

Golden Gate Bridge - see post #2190 - Dave :)
    Screen Shot 2017-05-27 at 11.05.33 AM.png 57470a16dfa6b.image.jpg Golden4_gate.jpg

5. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Here's a view of the intact hull of the Bismarck and some wreckage from the Hood.
    IMG_3680.JPG IMG_3681.PNG IMG_3682.PNG

#2295 scifan57, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
  6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    George Washington Instigates French & Indian War on this day in 1754!

George Washington was a 22 year-old Lieutenant Colonel of the Virginia militia sent from Williamsburg by the royal governor, Robert Dinwiddie to defend Virginia's land claims near the forks of the Ohio river, location of modern day Pittsburgh (more history below and also HERE). He encountered a French & Indian scouting party led by a French aristocrat, Joseph de Jumonville - Washington ambushed the party and Jumonville was killed in the attack.

Washington hastily built Fort Necessity (see map below), was attacked by Jumonville's half-brother and surrendered - he signed a 'confession' written in French, which he did not understand but basically a confession to the Frenchman's murder. In July 1755, Major General Edward Braddock w/ Washington as an aide was sent w/ a large army back to the 'forks of the Ohio' - he was defeated and mortally wounded - George W. read Braddock's burial service. In Europe, this was known as the Seven Years' War w/ traditional duration stated as 1756-1763. In my travelogue to West Virginia, Susan & I visited the Fort Necessity Battlefield on our way the seeing Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater. Dave :)

GW_1.png GW_2.png GW_3.png GW_4.png GW_5.png GW_6.jpg

7. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay reach summit of Mt. Everest this day in 1953!

This day in 1953, Edmund Hillary from New Zealand & Tenzing Norgay, a Nepalese Sherpa are the first to reach the summit of Mt. Everest, the tallest mountain on earth (29,000+ ft) - below just a few pics of the two explorers and the mountain, plus an interesting 10 min video for those interested. Dave :)

Hillary_and_tenzing.jpg Mount_Everest_as_seen_from_Drukair2_PLW_edit.jpg Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 11.12.10 AM.png

9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    D-Day - Below Posted 2 years ago, so 73 years ago!

D-Day - June 6, 1944!

Today 71 years ago, the Allied invasion of the European continent via the beaches of Normandy - a brief description quoted below (Source) - shown below a map of the participating allied armies; also, for a decent depiction, the movie The Longest Day (1962), which I now own on blu-ray w/ quite good video and sound restoration (each 3.9/5.0 ratings HERE). Dave :)

10. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The movie is great, but the book on which this film is based describes everything way more accurate than a movie will ever be able to show.
    IMG_3399.JPG