On this day in history.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KevinJS, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Hawker800

Hawker800
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    That may cure my coulrophobia.

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    LOL! I can't remember if our son had a fear of clowns - decades ago my younger brother started to cry the first time on Santa's lap (Santaphobia or Clausophobia) - but even movie stars admit to a fear of clowns. Dave :)
    Depp1.jpg Depp2.png

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Great Emigration departs for Oregon in 1843

In the 19th century, there were many 'trails' used for settlement of the American west and its coastal areas (see first map); the famous Oregon Trail was just one (second map); today in 1843, the first LARGE group of settlers left Independence, Missouri for a 2000+ mile journey in a variety of wagons, many converted farm types (see quotes).

Over the decades, numerous movies have been made about these 'western trails' - I don't own that many but an early one from 1930, The Big Trail is a favorite w/ a really young (early 20s) John Wayne (see pics below) in the title role; I have the Blu-Ray Restoration (great review - check link) which could be better BUT includes an early widescreen technique, as described: "the plot of a trek along the Oregon Trail is aided immensely by the majestic sweep provided by the experimental Grandeur wide-screen process used in filming" (Source - first link); a 2.10:1 aspect ratio. The movement of the wagons down and up the mountains is just spectacular for the era (and of course before CGI!) - highly recommended. Dave :)

OregonTrail1.jpg OregonTrail2.png OregonTrail3.jpg OregonTrail4.jpg OregonTrail5.jpg OregonTrail6.jpg

4. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The Big Trail was also one of the first films shot on 70mm film.

The original path of the Oregon Trail is still quite visible in various locations.
    IMG_3371.JPG IMG_3372.JPG

#2284 scifan57, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
  5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Yep, the film was shot in both 35mm & 70mm, the latter called Fox Grandeur or Grandeur 70, which was used for the widescreen version of the film (described & linked below) - the one I prefer; unfortunately, the restoration might have been better and both versions appear similar in their appearance although the BD is described as being sharper from my previous link - NOW, where is Criterion when needed? BTW - have you seen that movie in the widescreen version? If not, only an $8 purchase from Amazon USA (assume similar amount in Canada?) - Dave :)

P.S. now in putting that previous post together, I came across some interesting 'Oregon Trail FAQs' websites - might take another look and post some more - WHAT a trek (and the hardships and deaths along the way) - and Susan and I complain about taking 2 planes to go somewhere - in July we're doing a return trip to Toronto, 2 planes arriving about 6 PM and already wanting to get their earlier (but not that many options from our airport) - HOW long would that trip have taken from NC in the 1840s in a 'Prairie Schooner'? LOL! :)

6. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    May 23, 1934;

Bonnie and Clyde are killed in a hail of bullets by Texas and Louisiana police near Sailes, Louisiana.
    IMG_3376.JPG
    Bonnie and Clyde - Wikipedia

IMG_3377.JPG
    There is more than one alleged Bonnie and Clyde death car but the pattern of bullet holes on this one matches the photos of the car taken at the time of their deaths.

#2286 scifan57, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
  7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    The 1967 film Bonnie & Clyde w/ Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway has been on blu-ray for a while - I've seen the movie on release and also years ago on TV, but never had an interest in owning - although I have certainly watched a LOT of 'cops & robbers' films over the decades, there are not that many in my collection (but I'd have to check my database - my memory could be going?). Dave :)
    919FT5McCeL._SL1500_.jpg 3248352.jpg

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Oregon Trail - Some Facts

Last night I decided to re-watch the 1930 The Big Trail w/ the youthful John Wayne - of course, I picked the 'widescreen' 70mm version which looked amazingly modern in that aspect ratio but w/ intermittent presentations of text descriptions which harked back to the 'silent movie' era - for those wanting to see this film, then try to view in the format suggested.

Also, I found a number of websites discussing traveling the Oregon Trail - some selected below from HERE - the idea of taking nearly half a year to travel a couple thousands of miles is hard to imagine, especially in a bumpy wagon and walking most of the way! AND, the journey was indeed hazardous, i.e. accidents, death from a variety of diseases, murder from Indians, and likely other causes. A railroad would have been a miraculous relief in my mind - :) Dave

9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Brooklyn Bridge Opens This Day in 1883!

The Brooklyn Bridge remains an impressive and iconic structure spanning the East River and joining the boroughs of Brooklyn and Manhattan. Early in the 1980s, I spent a week w/ Dr. Lucy Frank Squire, a world famous radiologic teacher of medical students; she lived in the Dakota Building, upper West Side (where John Lennon was shot) and a colleague and I were in a near hotel; each morning, Lucy and we were chauffeured across the Brooklyn Bridge to Brooklyn where she taught (she was independently wealthy - part of the Kodak fortune) - a wonderful experience crossing that structure twice a day for a week.

More history quoted below, along w/ some pics of the bridge - for those wanting to learn more, the PBS documentary by Ken Burns is also shown (from the early 1980s) and is highly recommended; need to re-watch myself, but not in my collection at the moment. Dave :)

BBridge1.jpg BBridge2.jpg BBridge3.jpg BBridge4.jpg BBridge5.png

#2289 giradman, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
  10. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Brooklyn Bridge - Part 2

Well, this morning I watched the Ken Burns video below on YouTube (2 Parts, just over an hour total) - highly recommended, if interested (and free!). Also added, some more beautiful pics, several w/ birds - finally, a scene from Woody Allen's film Manhattan - although I've seen virtually all of his movies, I own just a half dozen, Manhattan, Annie Hall, & Hannah and Her Sisters are probably our favorites. Dave :)

BB_1.jpg BB_2.jpg BB_3.jpg BB_4.jpg BB_5.jpg