On this day in history.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KevinJS, Aug 3, 2012.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Boy the Red Baron dead! What amazed me about air plane battles in WWI was that these planes evolved w/i just a dozen or so years after the Wright Brothers flight on the Outer Banks of North Carolina - I recently streamed Wings, a silent movie from 1927 which has just come out on BD, and was awarded the first Oscar for 'Best Picture' - the air combat scenes were special for the times - a film worth watching (see quotes below) - Dave :)

61044_front.jpg

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ella Fitzgerald Born Today 100 years ago in Newport News, Virginia

The American jazz singer, Ella Fitzgerald, was born 100 years ago in Newport News, Virginia (about a 5-hour drive for me; and on the waters where the ironclads battled in the Civil War) - she is my favorite 20th century popular/jazz female singer (have a handful in the top 5 - and a similar amount for the men) - below some Wiki comments.

My musical listening is mainly in the classical and jazz genres so own a lot of CDs in those categories - for Ella, I have nearly two dozen discs, but 16 of those are in The Complete Ella Fitzgerald Songbooks, a project w/ Norman Granz on Verve Records - just brought out the box set and tonight starting w/ Johnny Mercer & Irving Berlin (see image below for other songbooks) - if unfamiliar w/ this jazz legend, then try to get a compilation from this collection; her recordings w/ Louis Armstrong are also recommended. Dave :)

1280px-Ella_Fitzgerald_(Gottlieb_02871).jpg tumblr_n193lkfprO1s0cjp3o2_500.jpg Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 6.12.34 PM.png

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    World War II Memorial Opened Today in Washington, D.C in 2004

In Washington, D.C. there are numerous memorials and monuments dedicated to American Wars and individuals related to these wars and new ones seem to appear regularly - one of the new ones just opened a dozen+ years ago, i.e. World War II Memorial - I've been there a couple of times - located between the Lincoln Memorial and the Washington Monument (see aerial map - also near the Jefferson & FDR Memorials) - other pics of the structure. Dave :)

WWII_1.png WWII_2.jpg WWII_3.jpg WWII_4.jpg WWII_5.jpg WWII_6.jpg

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    George Washington Inaugurated as First President of the United States This Day in 1789!

On April 30, 1789, George Washington was inaugurated as the First President of the 'new' United States at Federal Hall on Wall Street in New York City, the first Capitol of the country - the building was demolished in 1812, and replaced in 1842 on the same spot w/ the structure which is now known as the Federal Hall National Memorial (see pics below).

Washington refused a third term and in 1797, he retired to Mt. Vernon, his beloved estate in Virginia - he died there in 1799 and is entombed on the property with his wife Martha - the site can be visited (last pic). Henry 'Lighthorse Harry' Lee (one of Washington's young calvary officers in the Revolutionary War) gave the famous eulogy (end of second quote below) - of course, Henry Lee was the father of Robert E. Lee of Civil War fame, and married to Mary Anna Custis, the great-granddaughter of Martha Washington. Dave :)

GW1.jpg GW2.png GW3.jpg GW4.png GW5.jpeg GW6.jpg

5. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Cinco de Mayo - Battle of Puebla, May 5, 1862

"During the French-Mexican War (1861-1867), an outnumbered Mexican army defeats a powerful invading French force at the small town of Puebla. The retreat of the French troops at the Battle of Puebla represented a great moral victory for the people of Mexico, symbolizing the country’s ability to defend its sovereignty against a powerful foreign nation (Source)."

The 1939 film Juarez (see 2nd quote below from IMDB) portrays a portion of this Mexican-French history during the mid-19th century and overlapping the American Civil War - some excellent stars of the times (Paul Muni as Juarez & and Bette Davis as Carlota, wife of Maximilian I, who eventually faced a Mexican firing squad). Dave :)

May5_1.jpg May5_2.jpg May5_3.jpg May5_4.jpg May5_5.jpg May5_6.jpg

7. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hey Kevin - have not seen your around in a while nor in the Mac-Forums - glad that you're back! The Hindenburg disaster was mentioned on NPR today - just a pic of the crash in Lakehurst, New Jersey and an interesting comparison of its size to the US Capitol Building - Dave :)
    29a9d2fc794dd4b7e6e95597469fa9e0.jpg US_Capitol-hindenburg-pinucci.jpg

9. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Here's the newsreel footage of the crash.

#2269 scifan57, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017
  10. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Today, our local paper reprinted an article from the Associated Press - for those interested, take a look at the link, nearly 2 dozen large B&W photos. Dave :)